Valve spring compressor

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My valve spring tool of 40 years (or more!) has gone into voluntary isolation and cannot be found (it was getting a bit worn anyway)
I have an air head BMW head to do and of course a few Vincent heads I have been looking on ebay at the Sealey type U type with a choice of adapters
(I say Sealey though there are lots of similar rip offs on the ebay search.)
Nub of my question is is that type any good for our old school heads? if not what reasonable priced one is?

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Ebay item number 114143441056. Been using one like this for years, fits BMW airheads as it has the required depth of reach and also fits Vincent heads. However, be careful like so many tools it is liable to slip unless care is taken, not suggesting you would but l hope you can see where l am going, good luck.

vibrac

VOC Member
Ebay item number 114143441056. Been using one like this for years, fits BMW airheads as it has the required depth of reach and also fits Vincent heads. However, be careful like so many tools it is liable to slip unless care is taken, not suggesting you would but l hope you can see where l am going, good luck.
Certainly looks suitable and vintage

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You must have an old cap somewhere, Have a go at making this, They used it on the Victor in USA ?.
Dan Smith's tool I think ?.

Attachments

• 20180509_125958_HDR.jpg
    20180509_125958_HDR.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 52

oexing

VOC Member
I made me a few of these spring compressors at minimum costs. The tube dia. and cutout can be sized to the dia. of the spring cups. One cutout seems to be better than two, you don´t lose the valve collets so easily. I place the lot on my legs while sitting on a chair. So two hands will do the job with some training and I don´t need anything more since decades on all sorts of engines.

Vic
P1080039.JPG

P1080048.JPG

P1080038.JPG

P1080045.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Looking at the Smith´s type, what keeps the valve up - nothing ? And no universal compressor, just Vincent I guess.

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks for that! I went for that as its universal, having finished the Comet (awaiting some oil to start it up) my next job was going to be the Wife's EW Douglas new valves and guides but just as I went to load it on the bench I had an email to say Spares service from the Douglas club was suspended because of CV. So its got to be the 58 650 Triumph Trophy next (thats been waiting since before SORN started!) . So between that and the long project the Difazio I should get something out of this isolation policy- even if its only a shed full of bikes with nowhere to go

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Happy to help, if for any reason it is not suitable let me know and l will lend you mine via the post. l well know the feeling about the frustration of being grounded despite living in the least densely populated part of the uk, but as its lambing time we have our hands full as it is!

vibrac

VOC Member
Happy to help, if for any reason it is not suitable let me know and l will lend you mine via the post. l well know the feeling about the frustration of being grounded despite living in the least densely populated part of the uk, but as its lambing time we have our hands full as it is!
The spring compressor received today package undergoing sunlight decontamination at the moment, thanks for the tip off thankfully I have all the parts to rebuild the BMW heads as I see all proper BMW parts supply outlets have closed and the non official outlets have some horrendous pattern parts (dont ask how I know).