E: Engine Valve lifter cable

Louca

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi everyone, I’m new to the owners club after just acquiring my dream motorcycle a Comet 500 1951, and would be very grateful for some advice on changing the valve lifter cable as it has broken, away from the lever end , how easy is it to change ??? I have some good basic skills ! The lever was very difficult to start with , it never pulled in with great ease , should it ?? Thank you

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Louca,

In general, I would not use the decompressor cable unless you are turning the engine with the kick start lever at the same time. Keeping a small amount of pressure on the compression lever on the handlebar while turning the engine over will allow the cam lobe itself to lift the cam follower rather than letting the decompressor cable do all the work. As you turn the engine the decompression lever will easily go to the handlebar and once it is there it is usually not under any severe stress.

The cable should be easy to replace.

Parts Book.PNG

The end of the cable slides into the end of part number E218, and you should be able to see the hole in the hex end of that item.

I thought there was a sleeve and a cable anchor over the end of the E218, but they are not listed here. I will leave the details to someone who has changed one recently.

The Comet is a wonderful Vincent to own, but it was not well-represented in the Vincent literature compared to the twins. It is often difficult to find drawings related to the Comet.

Best of luck,

David

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
These may help understand its operation - both from the Oz Vincent Review .

Martyn

Attachments

• Maintain Your Comet Valve Lifter V3.pdf
    254.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Cable Construction Details - COMET V3.pdf
    441.1 KB · Views: 29

Louca

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Louca,

In general, I would not use the decompressor cable unless you are turning the engine with the kick start lever at the same time. Keeping a small amount of pressure on the compression lever on the handlebar while turning the engine over will allow the cam lobe itself to lift the cam follower rather than letting the decompressor cable do all the work. As you turn the engine the decompression lever will easily go to the handlebar and once it is there it is usually not under any severe stress.

View attachment 43957
The end of the cable slides into the end of part number E218, and you should be able to see the hole in the hex end of that item.

I thought there was a sleeve and a cable anchor over the end of the E218, but they are not listed here. I will leave the details to someone who has changed one recently.

The Comet is a wonderful Vincent to own, but it was not well-represented in the Vincent literature compared to the twins. It is often difficult to find drawings related to the Comet.

Best of luck,

David
I already am an H.R.D member ! Thank you

Louca

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Louca,

View attachment 43957

Best of luck,

David

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Mine in operation is featherlight, adjusted with the timing cover off -movement onto the valve lifter/cam is very slight just a few mm, from not contacting to slight lift -just a smidge. Maybe 1" movement at the lever...