Valve heights in head

johnmead

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I bought the springs, seats, retainers and keepers from R/D Spring Corp in California. The person I spoke with was Zach Jones.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Zach Jones
R/D Spring Corp.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17710 Bangor Ave
Hesperia, CA 92345
[/FONT]
rdspring2@aol.com
Phone (760) 948-4698

Fax (760) 948-4856

[/FONT]

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Thanks, John, I would feel a lot more confident using parts "intended " for a vin rather than something "home brewed" however much research I've had to put in. Regards, Roy.

davidd

VOC Member
I believe that there are sources in England that can do the job quite well, but RD Springs is one of the leading racing spring suppliers in the U.S. Carleton Palmer, Steve Hamel and I have all used their services. With RD it is best to send them the heads so they can do the machining of the keepers and they use their own titanium spring retainers. They also set the spring pressures. Zach set mine up also.

http://www.rdvalvespring.com/

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Setting up, for a professional mechanic, is the easy bit! finding parts that are WORTH setting up is the hardest part! Thanks for your input guys, sounds like my project just took another step forward. REgards, Roy.

clevtrev

VOC Member
For a good starting point, measure from the top of valve to register for upper guide, that`s the only reference point you have. 1.440" for the exhaust, and 1.460" for the inlet.
That`s easier than mucking about with beehives and honeycombes.

Last edited:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Clev trev, thanks for your input, nobody has ,as yet , told us the "magic" numbers to determine the installed height of a set of STANDARD vin valve springs! Maybe Cliff Brown could have told us, alas it is now too late! Now it appears the ones remaining have to work it out all over again. Myprevios post actually tells "how it can be acheived" if you didn't dig it then you are not the mechanic!