V55/5 how to fill it in ?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Sorting my Douglas they said they only accept original documents supprised Aylesbury county archives did not want me to send their leather bound 1949 registration book with the matching frame and reg number entry in !!!

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Sorting my Douglas they said they only accept original documents supprised Aylesbury county archives did not want me to send their leather bound 1949 registration book with the matching frame and reg number entry in !!!
The DVLA will accept extracted copies of the council records if it is certified by the council archives department or extracted and typed out on a council archives headed letter. I have used such copies to help owners reclaim original registrations with the DVLA.
Also when applying to reclaim an original registration via the V765 scheme the DVLA will accept copies of the original council logbook (so they cannot loose the original) as long as the copies have been made and certified with the stamp and signature of the official in the club processing the application who is registered with the DVLA. For the VOC that's the Machine registrar.

The DVLA won't accept copies of documents done by the owner.
Simon

Colin

VOC Member
As Dave says keep a copy of EVERYTHING you send the DVLA> Also , although it is a b----y nuisance send really important things from a Post Office and get a Certificate of posting (or even recorded delivery). Record, verbatim, anything said over the phone as well. The DVLA is just about the most incompetent organisation you are forced to deal with. I have a number of files to prove that statement, and a recent cheque from them as recompense for the inconvenience and expense they put me to. If you have real trouble with them COMPLAIN in writing, and keep on complaining, (if met with stonewalling escalate the complaint to your MP)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As Dave says keep a copy of EVERYTHING you send the DVLA> Also , although it is a b----y nuisance send really important things from a Post Office and get a Certificate of posting (or even recorded delivery). Record, verbatim, anything said over the phone as well. The DVLA is just about the most incompetent organisation you are forced to deal with. I have a number of files to prove that statement, and a recent cheque from them as recompense for the inconvenience and expense they put me to. If you have real trouble with them COMPLAIN in writing, and keep on complaining, (if met with stonewalling escalate the complaint to your MP)
Please don't upset them !, I might want some help this year.
If you are in another Club, Try to find a Simon !!, He got me mine in 20 days from scratch !.
Cheers Bill.

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Just a tip, as i have just been through this.

Phone the NOVA people (google it number is on the website). Make sure the bike is on they're database. Mine wasn't and it delayed the process a couple of months...

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Whenever the DVLA register a vehicle they always check to see if it is flagged on the customs NOVA (Notifications of Vehicle Arrival) system. If it is flagged on NOVA then the DVLA will not register the vehicle until NOVA is cleared.
A vehicle gets on NOVA at the time its been permanently imported into UK. That is even for a vehicle that was originally built in the UK. It is only cleared off NOVA when it is cleared by either paying any import duty due or proving no duty was due.
If the DVLA for any reason suspect a vehicle is an import (it may say on a dating certificate) then they will insist on NOVA clearance.
If a bike has never been or not suspected of ever been exported then NOVA clearance is not required for age related applications. So I suspect your vehicle Steve had either been imported sometime or was suspected of been imported.
Simon

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
A friend has recently purchased a UK built Bullet that was bought back India in the early 80's.
It has never had a UK registration and the more you look at it the worse it gets as it looks like the engine number has been polished off then partially restamped and the frame number is garbage.
I feel it may end up as a parts bike, which is a pity as it has a lot of character.

alscomet

VOC Member
Just to update you on my friends registration .The DVLA were having none of the V55/5 to register the vehicle as they actually had on file a log book which didn't fit the numbers presented and as such have issued a 17 digit frame number to attach to the head stock,then have it verified by a reputable garage and have now issued a new age related number and number plate authorisation.I realise I do not have access to all the correspondence with the DVLA I only really know the end result. Thank you for all the comments