V55/5 how to fill it in ?

alscomet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A friend of mine has bought a bike[ not a Vincent} without checking the V5c actually matches the bike,which it doesnt. Vmcc have told him it now needs registering as a reconstructed classic but I think it just needs registering as a bike thats not previously been registered at all,without numberplates or and old tax disc etc
he is worried that it may end up with a Q plate which is not correct.
What should he do to end up with a V5c,age related number and Historic vehicle status.
The bike is a 1953 frame with a 1957 engine,no parts newer than 25 years and is just a complete running bike in standard trim.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
What is the make of the bike? Reason for asking is the owner will need a dating certificate from the appropriate owners club. The VMCC cannot date everything. As an example they cannot date Vincent's as the DVLA will now only accept certificates from the VOC.
Simon

alscomet

VOC Member
Simon its a Velocette but VMCC can date them if they hold the record on that frame and engine, Grove have some frame records for springer velos.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If a vehicle is assembled from componnents collected over the years then it is considered a reconstructed classic. If it is an original bike that has just had the engine changed years ago, but was bought as one complete bike then it is a grey area but usually just treated as a std bike and not reconstructed classic. It sounds like the latter is the case as it was bought as a complete bike that has previously been used with a registration which has errors in it.
My recomendation would be for the owner to contact the Velocette owners club official who is registered with the DVLA to deal with such matters. I will send you a private message with their contact details.
Simon

alscomet

VOC Member
Thanks for that Simon any tips on what to fill in on the V55/5 or is that not the form that's required.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If you send me an email then I can reply with a document attached explaining how to fill the forms in etc. it is aimed at Vincent's but the basics is the same. Email addresss is inside fromt of MPH (machine registrar).
For age related application you will need:

Dating certificate
V55/5 (most questions ignored)
Two printed photos of the complete bike.
They don't ask for photos of the engine and frame numbers but I recommend they are included.
MOT or V112 declareing no MOT required.
Payment of £55 to DVLA
Payment for taxing the vehicle (zero if historic) as the DVLA will tax the vehicle at the same time it registers it.
Proof of identification of the owner.

Insurance certificate is not required, but as soon as the owner is notified of the new registration, get it insured ASAP as the vehicle will have been taxed. The DVLA know you cannot insure it under the new reg until they issue it.

Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is how to fill in the mysterious V55/5 for an age related application. For V765 applications to reclaim an original reg its slightly different as you also answer question 1 - enter original registration and question 45 - date of original registration.

1. Leave blank as registration currently unknown
2. Insert “Historic”
3. Leave blank
4. Leave blank
5. Insert “Vincent”
6. Insert “Vincent”
7. Enter that model as described on the dating certificate
8. Insert “Motorcycle”
9. Insert “2 wheel”
10. Insert the major colour of the motorcycle
11. to 26 leave blank
27. Insert the manufacturing year of the youngest major component from the certificate.
30. Insert “Petrol”
31. Insert the frame number as stamped on the headstock. Be very careful it is correct and / doesn't look like a 1.
32. Insert the engine number as stamped on the engine. Again be careful it is correct and / doesn't look like a 1.
33. Insert the cubic capacity of the engine (i.e. 998cc)
34. to 47 leave blank.
Now turn over to:
49. Fill in your details. Ignore the DVLA fleet No.
50. Your date of birth
51. "Exempt by age"
Then sign and date the declaration.

vibrac

VOC Member
You still have the twerps at the DVLA to cope with its a month and 3 phone calls since I sent my change of engine number v65 to them. They returned all the documentation asking me to correct the v65 where indicated but left the v65 out!