V3 seal kits

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I purchased two of the V3 seal kits at the beginning of the summer and installed one in the Oz Rapide.They are expensive little kits but the promise of an oil tight Vincent made the price seem acceptable. The aluminium/neoprene valve inspection cap seals looked particularly clever and even allow for proper correct-way-up logos. All was well for almost six thousand miles and then I noticed some oil showing up on the rear head. Initially I thought it was pushing up thru the cylinder studs (old 2 piece type) which gave me quite a time on the front head earlier this year. In the end it was a broken sealing ring on the rear cylinder exhaust valve cap. This is not easy to change without taking the bike apart into big chunks, however I managed to do it by pulling the upper two engine mounting bolts then lowering the engine as far as it would go. With the engine rolled over until the valve is fully open and a bit of persuasion from a pry bar, there is just enough room to wiggle the cap out. Stock type ring now in place, problem solved.
Strange that the V3 ring would remain in one piece for six thousand miles, then let go.

Last edited:

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
have been it touch with Neal the supplier i have sent you pm with his e mail address he would like you to contact him

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Thanks David
The seal breakage could be a one off problem. I do applaud the fact that Neal has tried to do something about oil leakage on Vincents. Next to electrical problems , oil leaks must be the biggest problem most Vincent owners face, or at least the most common problem.

Glen

Robert Watson

VOC Member
If you read Phil Mahood's brief bio of John Andrews, you will see how well he dealt with massive oil leaks from his Shadow. When stopping to refuel on a (his only??) trip from the Maritimes to Toronto, the attendant (obviously some time ago) questioned what he was going to do about the massive oil loss which was apparent under the bike. Why sir, he calmly stated, I shall just put some more in the top.

Last edited by a moderator: