Misc: Everything Else V2 Clutch Springs

Bowsh

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All,

I have a V2 Clutch in my Rapide, it has green and also red springs in it. I'm running the clutch wet and it is slipping, I need to source stronger springs, can anyone help with this please?

Thanks

Paul

vibrac

VOC Member
I had problems and no amount of spring pressure would cure it in the end it was a fault in the assembly however I suggest you enter "V2 Clutch" (with the inverted commas) in the search box and settle down to some interesting reading

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The clutch basket on my Veetwo is steel. iirc the v3 clutch basket is aluminium.
The clutch plate type won't tell you much. Although it did have the dry bronze plates originally, I'm running wet Barnett Kevlar plates in the Veetwo now. Works great, it has done about 55,000 miles that way. It uses Kawasaki Z1-900 plates. The same plates are also used in many other Kawasaki models, so they are readily available.

Glen

Last edited:

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Glen,

Are you saying that the Z1-900 Kawasaki plates are the same as older Ducati plates? I always thought that the V2 clutch was a modified steel drum Ducati clutch, but not sure which model. Mine certainly originally had bronze friction plates.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I called Vee Two in about 2005 to see if fibre type friction plates would fit their Vincent clutch , as I was having some problems with the dry bronze plates grabbing on takeoff. I was told that Kawi 900 plates would fit.
I ordered some in Kevlar from Barnett, added the ATF and a Cometic gasket on the cover. The clutch has worked perfectly ever since.
I don't think Vee Two makes the Vincent clutch today. Even in 2005 it might have been discontinued.
I still have the old bronze set in a drawer somewhere.

Glen

Last edited:

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Glen.

I think I preferred the bronze plates, but mine never suffered with grabbing on take off, or not freeing when selecting first when setting off.

With me the jury is out with the fibre plates because of clutch slip, so like Bowsh I would like to consider heavier clutch springs if there are any recommendations ??? The clutch actuation, in my opinion, is quite light.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I'm using the same springs with the Kevlar wet plates as with the dry Bronze plates. They are set quite light but the clutch holds for two up & luggage riding. The Type F ATF is said to give better grip than other ATF types.
With a Venhills Featherlight clutch cable helping, it's an easy two finger clutch.
I would have stayed with the dry bronze if not for squeaking and grabbing. This could be eliminated by washing the plates in acetone or laquer thinner every 4-500 miles.
A small amount of sticky black paste would accumulate on the bronze plates. This seemed to cause the problem.
Maybe I have a very small amount of gear oil getting onto the plates?
The wet Kevlar clutch solved the problem. Even with that it doesn't hurt to wash the plates and put new ATF in every 10-15,000 miles or so. It's not a bad job with the Cometic gasket.
My bike has a drilled drain hole in the clutch compartment. This has to be plugged for wet clutch operation.

Glen

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I have a V2 clutch in my bike with the Kevlar Plates from Barnett like Glen has. I run it wet in ATF or 10-40 Motorcycle oil and it doesn't slip. The inside of the primary is machined out so that there is no seal between the clutch and the chain. When the oil level gets low because of leakage out the breather I have on the filler cap, the clutch gets slightly grabby. I am only using four of the original 6 springs. I found with only three springs it would slip. My bike is pretty fast as it has 8:1 pistons and 105 cams. The clutch can easily be pulled in with two fingers. You shouldn't need strong springs.