V-Twin Magnetos

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A friend sent me pictures of his version of a twin magneto, two cut down Lucas SR1's mounted face to face, set out of phase so he has two full power sparks, driven from one end with two sets of points on the other.

Attachments

• mag4.png
    mag4.png
    300.6 KB · Views: 83
  • mag2.png
    mag2.png
    307.9 KB · Views: 87
  • mag1.png
    mag1.png
    378.1 KB · Views: 84

highbury731

VOC Member
Has anyone noticed that the points of maximum flux density on a Lucas SR1 rotating magnet magneto are at 155 and 205 degrees. I've noticed one on a Comet and wondered if it would be possible to fit the end cover from an SR2 and get a V twin cam ground. Cheers, Stu.
So, can anyone answer Stu's question? I have a good SR1, and wonder if I can make it fit my Rapide.
Paul

Chris Launders

VOC Member
An SR2 uses a rotor arm like a distributor, and could run a V twin with a cam ground, if you had a cam with the correct rotor arm mounting bit in the right position and the rotor arm tip was long enough to transmit the spark to the cover pickups at the altered angle. Unfortunately they won't fit under the cowling either. I cannot comment on the maximum flux angle. I have an SR2 on a Triumph and some spares, I will see what there is tomorrow.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I have seen one set up on a Norvin as per Chris's description above, probably a racing mod.........Not a common thing.........If you really wanted to go that way you would be better off with a Joe Hunt or Morris mag from the states, though not the cheapest way to go.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
As I understand it there is a difference in the way the Lucas and the American mags work as well, the American ones take both ends of the HT coil out and one goes to each plug so you fire BOTH plugs every time as opposed to the Lucas one with the distributor.

erik

VOC Member
Does anybody knows if the sparks on the new BTH electronic magnetos are with equal strength? Or ist it the same as on the traditionel instruments with a weaker spark for the front cylinder?regards Erik

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The new BTH electronic magneto's are in fact a generator with 2 CDI units inside and external coils so will give equal sparks.
Chris.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think that saves me a new thread since as I suspected we can use the SKITSU revcounter from the racing Comet on the twin as it only picks up from one plug lead and there is no wasted spark