Using a cycle computer on your Vincent

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
At the IOM rally I noticed quite a few Vins with cycle computers mounted which act as a clock, speedometer, trip meter, average speed display etc.

I was thinking of purchasing one, but there is a large selection out there, so what have you fitted and what do you think of it? ie ease of calibration, accuracy etc.

Many thanks,
Simon.

G

Graham Smith

Simon

I know it's a lot more money, but I'd pay the extra and buy a satnav designed for a bike. This will give your far greater accuracy for speed than one of those bike speedometers things.

I personally have the TomTom Rider, but like most things in life it's down to personal choice, and I'm sure other people will tell you that the Garmin one's better.

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi .i know a few people that have fitted these speedos and I aquired one for myself.It's not fitted yet and may never be.The one I got is limited to 80Mph(my Comet just exceeds this on the flat) so check that the one you buy is O K for your use...John

rapcom

VOC Member
Try the Sigma Trip Computer, which goes up to 183mph (should be enough), is easy to fit, and even has a little light available to go alongside. Price about £25, available from many accessory suppliers, so I won't advertise, but PM me if you get stuck.
These are useful as a trip meter to keep track of your fuel range since last filling up, and have the great advantage that they won't be as tempting a target as a GPS to the thieves that we in UK are not allowed to appropiately punish.

Albervin

VOC Member
GPS VS Bicycle Speedo

The price difference is huge. If you want to know where to go.....
get a TomTom. If you want to avoid a speeding ticket & don't want to run out of fuel, get a bicycycle speedo computer! It isn't complicated & can be transferred between bikes.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Cycle computer

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I have decided on a Sigma BC906. Main reason was I could not justify £300+ for a sat nav when all I was after was a clock to tell the time while on the move with the added bonus of a speedo to compare the 5" speedo against. The BC906 model will measure 180mph+ which is more than enough even on a IOM lap!!!:D All for the price of £17 inc delivery off fleabay.

Regards
Simon.