Use the oil you have

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I haven't the time at this moment to discuss the many ways the "standard, by-the book" assembled Vincent Engine internally waists a large percentage of pumped oil flow.... returning it to the sump without it have been used to
lubricate what is important. The timing chest is one big culprit and can be corrected. This is only part of my "conservation" observations.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Sounds interesting Rip, be good to here what you have to say on the matter....when you've got time of course....:) Cheers...Greg.

nkt267

VOC Member
[QUOTEHey i just noticed you've finally turned from RED to BLUE,][/QUOTE]
the weather in Colorado must be changing;-)..john

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
What do you suppose those brass disks with the smaller holes in them that the Vin factory had behind the timing case feed seals did? Well, seems to me it was a cheap and dirty way to restrict flow into a very wasteful place, what else? And again send more
oil to where it's needed. Doing it the "right' way takes time and precision fitting.... however, a side benefit of taking the time to do it right is that your timing chest is so quiet all you hear is the whirring of the timing gears...... no rattle, clank, or tick-tock:
like a precise engine is supposed to sound! Assembled "by the book" you are left with a stack of loose spacers, hollow dowels, rocker arm, cams etc. that clank around and through the many gaps in the "stack"...... sending lots of oil straight back to the sump
unused. Not good!

Last edited:

highbury731

VOC Member
Could you be precise about 'doing it right', Rip? I'm guessing that you mean making one-piece spacers for the timing chest. How does the standard method lead to oil going back to the sump?

Paul