US License Plate Mounting

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Any tips to avoid drilling more holes (See Pic)?

Hey US Ladies & Gents

Any tips on mounting a US plate to a seemingly original UK rear Series B plate mounting area? Trying to find a bracket of some kind vs. drilling holes in the plate or the plate mounting area.

1603690363075.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
The trouble with you Americans you just have awkwardly shaped plates isn't that two holes under the stoplight and another further down?
bananaman.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Silicon sealer is your friend here, if you need to space it out to clear the rim cut a piece of alloy to fit inside and silicon that in place, then your plate on top. Gave up using nuts and bolts/screws for this job 30 years ago.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
A similar approach with countersunk screws could work, with the alloy plate and your NJ plate assembled on the bench and then attached to the bike by the top holes.

Plate.png

Dinny

VOC Member
I use Velcro, not lost a plate yet. To make it look finished I mount plastic caps in the four holes in the plate using small screws and just stick it on.

Mark

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Thanks folks. Not wanting to bore new holes in the plate holder. Velcro and silicon novel solutions. Was hoping someone was using another british manufacturer license plate bracket that magically fit the standard British pre-drilled holes:)

Colin

VOC Member
Good quality double sided tape works too. I have used it on the plate on my trailer which is (more "was" now) towed by two different bikes.

b'knighted

VOC Member
The four holes in the plate bracket have been carefully drilled by someone. They are unlikely to have been done by the manufacturer as original plates were intended to be signwritten or use stickers. It looks as if the bracket fitted is a two piece replacement rather than the original one piece bracket so redrilling could be less important.

Mike T

VOC Member
Hi Mark, I don't mind drilling the holes into the rear plates. If anything, it's interesting to see the original British number plate holes in the holder with the smaller American license plate fitted. A friend used construction adhesive, but the license plate fell off. I also put special interest, age-related plates on my bikes. They are expensive and so I like to make sure that they are bolted on firmly with hardware that would take some time to remove. Cheers.