Upper frame differences?

kick69

Forum User
VOC Member
I heard the other day that later ( 1954 & after )Series C & D upper frames were different than eariler made ones, is this true?:confused:

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Series D UFM's

Series D’s have a tube UFM and a separate oil tank. Consequently their petrol tanks don’t have the big hole for the oil filler and won't fit earlier bikes. C tanks will, to the best of my knowledge, fit D’s allowing a good view of the UFM tube.

Cheers,
Ian

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Fuel tanks

Ian, I think, nay, I know that the platform that locates the fuel tank at the rear on a C tank is at a different height to that of a D tank, so whilst the C tank will fit over the D UFM, you cannot fasten it down.
Cheers,
ET43

nkt267

VOC Member
My June '51 Comet has a 'male' headstock..john
Some say the rider is a bit dubious though:D

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
Head lug and cylinder head bracket

Paul Richardson's book says, under Detail modifications, Cycle parts - Modified head-lug and cylinder-head bracket FT3/2, Frame No 8614.

No dates are given.

I had a Comet, frame no 7371, which was December 1950.

Somer

VOC Member
Around 52 seems to be the ball park. It has been my observation that things rarely happened with just one bike.Often new bits were phased in as old bits were used up.
"Transition" cases came in around ~ #2500 but I have seen them as high as #4000. Richardson gave a certain VIN # for Vincent embossed case but I found an earlier on in California years ago.
Both Series C's and D's were made simultaneously I believe.

tractorman414

VOC Member
C tank on D

Ian, I think, nay, I know that the platform that locates the fuel tank at the rear on a C tank is at a different height to that of a D tank, so whilst the C tank will fit over the D UFM, you cannot fasten it down.
Cheers,
ET43

I think yea. I have had various C tanks on my D for over 40 years. The only tight point is the T38 brace tube at the rear, which I have milled flat on one side. This is all history now that I have at last found a D tank

Bernard

Dorset section

ET43

Non-VOC Member
C tank on a D

Bernard, I've no wish to argue with you, and know that you fitted a C tank on your D, BUT, you had to make a raised platform to meet the higher plate at the rear of the C tank. The D tank plate is lower down, and what I should have said is, that a C tank will not fit without any modifications to the D UFM.
End of story.
ET43