Misc: Everything Else Updated Wiring Diagram for Safety Modernization using LED's

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Jim, what a neat job on the wiring!

Would like to rewire a couple of bikes here but it does require a fair chunk of time, so this might not happen. They work fine now but the wiring is a bit messy.
As time goes on and things are added, the wiring tends to get that way.
It would be nice to start fresh and plan it all out, the way you have done.
If rewiring I will use a fusebox, maybe 8 circuit. When something goes wrong the isolation of circuits is helpful. I found this out with the Leo Lee bike. It is very neatly wired but uses a single fuse. Many people tried to sort out the wiring issue that bike had after its full restoration. John McDougall thought it was an intermittent short in the generator. Automarine Electric worked on the bike and couldn't find anything wrong with the charging system or wiring. They were correct, there was nothing wrong with those items, or rather nothing that would show up with normal testing methods.
Others apparently tried with it as well, all to no avail.
When I bought the bike I was aware that it was essentially a new Vincent except it had some sort of electrical issue. John still felt it was in the generator, so I fitted a new unit straight off.
The problem persisted ( intermittent burning of the single 20 amp fuse)
Finally after about a year of struggling with this problem it came clear. There was a short in the headlight switch. I happened to be riding at night and saw sparks all around the switch. This only occurred at fairly high rpm and not every time.
If the bike had been wired with a few fuses isolating the circuits, then this problem would have been quickly identified. Also, it would have remained rideable, in daylight at least.
On the other hand Leo would never have sold me the bike if it hadn't been so problematic for him! After all the expense of the complete resto he never completed a ride on the bike. It always fried the main fuse or drained it's battery( Series D distributor ignition) then had to be transported home in a truck box or on a trailer. He became very disillusioned with Vincent ownership, but the bike was/is excellent, the whole problem was that silly little faulty switch!

There are some very expensive trick fuse boxes available, such as the Motogadget, however a simple universal automotive type fuse box works just fine. The fuses that light up when burned out are inexpensive and make life easier.
The difficulty on the Vincent is finding a hidden but accessible place to mount a fusebox.

Glen

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Ben has wired a few cafe racer flying bricks with Motogadget just one wire to each power consumer with relays internally simplifies the wiring at a stroke. Its a bit expensive and a bit over the top for our bikes but with something as complex as a BMW road bike it seems a good idea, I certainly rather fancy it when I get the R100/Difazio to that stage

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
One other wiring item that is nice to have on a Vincent is a break-away connector in the main wiring harness, or harnesses. When doing any major work it's sure nice to just unplug the all of the wiring so that the front end and upper frame member can be rolled away as a unit, wiring left untouched.
The only connectors I could find that were slim enough for this were four prong trailer connectors, two sets required for my bike. These tuck in between the tank and the UFM. They are not waterproof type connectors, which would perhaps be better. The waterproof connectors I looked at were too thick to fit between tank and UFM. The bike has been out in lots of wet weather over 15 years now, so far no issues with the trailer connectors.

Glen

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I’ve used a PC-8 from Eastern Beaver on several bikes, simple..

vibrac

VOC Member
This is the type of weather proof connector I have used from wiring products this picture is 2 way I use their 6 way which is enough for most Vincent needs down the UFM (description below)
1595356040654.png

Superseal weatherproof connectors, IP67 rated and available in 1-6 way. Suitable for 0.5-1.5mm2 cable. Sold in complete sets comprising male and female half, both sets of terminals and cable seals.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
At 2.2" diameter that one must be situated below the tank?

The flat four prong trailer connector is only about 1/2" thick and it just slides in between fuel tank and ufm with maybe 1/8" or so to spare.

Glen

Mine is approximately .75” diameter. Don’t see where 2.2” is stated? Yes, it’s visible, the advantage it has is the screw terminals, no wire splices needed. I pack the boot with silicone seal to protect things.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Scrolling down on your link there is an area that shows " Product Dimensions" at 4.7 x 3.1x 2.2 inches.
Maybe that is meant to be Cm?
That would be roughly 7/8".
I used weatherpacks on the 1360, but had enough room under the seat. They look similar to Vibrac's Superseal.
The Weatherpacks , at about 1" thick in total, were also too thick to fit in that tank to ufm space on a standard Vincent.
IMG_20200721_123954.jpg

Last edited: