unusual hill-climb special with blown Rapide engine

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here's the URL for a film by David Roscoe of the 1963 Wiscomb Park Hill Climb BRSCC meeting.

At 1:24, there's a rather unusual special (car) powered by a supercharged Rapide engine, with a blower above the gearbox, and it points backwards. I think it's front wheel drive and double wishbone suspension. The commentary doesn't say anything intelligent about the car

davidd

VOC Member
Very Good!

Screenshot (91).png

Screenshot (92).png

A couple of screen shots to study.

David

highbury731

VOC Member
Looking carefully at the video, at 1:31 you can see that the timing cover is a late HRD one. At 1:33 you can clearly see the suspension, the lower wishbones are made from box sections. The upper arms at the front are fabricated box section of 'bell crank' type, with a horizontal 'spring' made of some kind of plastic material. At the rear it appears to have some kind of vertical spring or damper. I think the wheels are alumin(i)um, possibly cast.

Someone has put a lot of thought and effort into this special. It would be interesting to know more about it

vibrac

VOC Member
It could be a Strang hill climb car based on the pre war Fiat Topolino* I have a book on it somewhere, Bob Culver would know about it I bet he could probably tell you the CR as well.

*Blimey! I actually know a bit about trolley racing:oops:(Oh the shame) -whatever next:eek:?