Unique Exhaust Pipes

fishingpaul

Forum User
VOC Member
I have a set of exhaust pipes which came on my Rapide which was purchased some 50-ish years ago (pictured). they are straight through 1-1/2 inch diameter. Each pipe comes in two sections. No muffler(s). My then 3 year old daughter is now 52 years old! This website won't take other pictures of the pipes today, but I can email them (contact <rheumatology703@gmail.com>). Would these be useful for a C-twin modified to race?

Attachments

• Dad and Sara on Vincent.JPG
    Dad and Sara on Vincent.JPG
    447.9 KB · Views: 154

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Pipes are usually measured by the outside diameter and the original were 1 5/8" so I am guessing that is what those look like

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you check you will probably find that they are inch and five eighths, not inch and a half. They would be very useful for some on wanting to build a Lightning replica but for serious racing, at least here in the UK, there are noise limits which would prevent then being acceptable. Still if they still look as good as they do in the photograph someone will be very please to use them for some purpose.

vibrac

VOC Member
As for use in a modern racer our recent logic on pipes was thus:
Rubber is the most important issue 18" is the maximum size where decent racing rubber can be found
18" wheels preclude any thoughts of 2" lightning pipes indeed standard pipes generally ground out just ahead of the Siamese junction on the lower timing case area. High level pipes are frowned upon in Landsdowne circles who stick closer to the classic silhouette and concept than the TT, BHR, and US/NZ Historic racing. As for diameters 2" is now regarded as perhaps too big while the standard size a little small. In the end on our twin the decision was two single pipes the rear going along the top following and round under the timing cover well tucked well in, while the front pipe dropped down the center line underneath and emerging up from behind the clutch. both pipes emerge one on each side and surprisingly of equal length The real disadvantage is the restricted space for a silencer but experiments are creeping towards 105Db.
Anyway jacked as high as the bike as seem normal the pipes are no longer a problem cornering and the old bogey of the clutch cover has emerged as a low point.
1614943599714.png

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
OT (sorry, Paul) Vibrac, how do your pipes compare to this or the bikes on Ben's website?

john-surtees-goodwood-festival-of-speed-1993-classic-tt-202018022001.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Pipes are usually measured by the outside diameter and the original were 1 5/8" so I am guessing that is what those look like
1.6300“ if you count the plating. Did they use 1 5/8 from the factor? I thought they were all 2”.
ABDCCF67-DB40-48B6-8D2F-82AFF8CFF0B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I have a set of exhaust pipes which came on my Rapide which was purchased some 50-ish years ago (pictured). they are straight through 1-1/2 inch diameter. Each pipe comes in two sections. No muffler(s). My then 3 year old daughter is now 52 years old! This website won't take other pictures of the pipes today, but I can email them (contact <rheumatology703@gmail.com>). Would these be useful for a C-twin modified to race?
I still have a set of those. There was a fellow wanting to buy mine, so I will dig out his contact info and send to to you via PM.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Cyborg, there were both one and five eights and two inch pipes for competition use. It depended upon the date and development on that date and then on the circuit. Very approximately the smaller ones for circuit racing and the larger ones for national speed record attempts and the like. Some came as side by side pairs which were no use for leaning over round corners, others, as in the photograph, one above the other.

fishingpaul

Forum User
VOC Member
OT (sorry, Paul) Vibrac, how do your pipes compare to this or the bikes on Ben's website?

john-surtees-goodwood-festival-of-speed-1993-classic-tt-202018022001.jpg
Bruce,
Not familiar with that website. My photos are "too large" for this thread, but I can send them to anyone who supplies his/her email address. Since I have yours, I'll go ahead and send some pics now.....may have to send 2 emails to do so.