Unidentified Racing Fairing

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I purchased the Grey Flash from Coburn Benson, it came with a well-used fairing that he had purchased in 1965. I suspect it was made in the late fifties or early sixties. At the time, Coburn was told it was a Peel. I have never been able to find a photo of this fairing in use or in any photos of Peel fairings. I was hoping someone might recognize it. The items of not are that the windscreen is self-supporting except in the very front. Second, the arm cut-outs have an up-sweep at the rear which is unusual. The sides are not attached at the lowest part of the fairing. This is a copy I made:

David

Howard

VOC Member
David,

You don't say if it's UK origin, but in the 50s and 60s their was a guy named Bill Jakeman near Stoke who made fairings for the works Honda team (amongst others) in a big wooden shed - we used to visit and wonder at the exotic GRP (and alloy) parts he made. There's a photo on Google images of an MV with a Jakeman top fairing with a similar cutout shape, but I suspect all his fairings were one offs or very limited production runs.

H

davidd

VOC Member
Howard,

I am not really sure. If it is a Peel, it was made on the Isle of Man. But the Peel fairings are pretty well-known and I have never seen a Peel that looked like this. I Googled "Honda Racers" among other variations, and most of those cut-outs had no up-sweep, but you are correct that it might have been a small production. The fairing had to be cut rather severely to make room for the Girdraulic, so it was not for a Vincent. I suspect it was for a small bore racer. The fairing was nicely done with preformed gussets to strengthen the the transition to the side panels, so it was well-made.

David

davidd

VOC Member
Tim,

I think that is the right size, but the front is quite round and the fairing supports the windshield for much longer. I had assumed it might be a Peel because of the Peel RS54, which was the famous BMW Rennsport fairing. In the photo below you can see the front end is quite blunt and the windscreen supports are very short. The bad news is that it may not be identifiable. The good news is I can say it is extremely rare!

David

John Cone

VOC Member
Looking back at some old mags and came across this Peel Fairing.

img011.jpg