Non Vincent Related UK to Ban Petrol Motorcycles by 2035

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What a fascinating story. Takes some seriously stubborn people to undertake that. However it did mention they zigzagged on their way up which may have reduced the steepness.

vibrac

VOC Member
One of the pitfalls of the Model T Ford was that it had to reverse up steep hills due to the gravity feed tank. That got fixed.
BSA is mentioning that an electric model is being planned. Tesla will probably be among the first with a practical electric motorcycle in a few years and then every other bike manufacturer will follow suit.
Your forgetting this
Not that what happens to new bikes matters a lot to me white goods are white goods.

Colin

VOC Member
When it was announced, back in December 2020, that combustion-fuelled cars and vans would be banned from sale in the UK from 2030, motorcycles appeared to have dodged a bullet.

Alas, last week’s Transport Decarbonisation Plan has sealed their fate, with the Department for Transport announcing that from 2035, “all new L-category vehicles to be fully zero emissions at the tailpipe”. L-category vehicles, or Powered Light Vehicles, comprise powered two and three-wheelers (motorbikes, mopeds etc), quadricycles and 'micro cars'.

Read more HERE…
Perhaps that will finally stop me buying new bikes, (maybe even old ones!)

But I doubt it!

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
One of the several pitfalls of electric bikes is their range. Say you wanted to go on a trip to Scotland from the South East, you’d have to stop at least 3 times to recharge and they aren’t as efficient on faster roads as they are in towns/cities.

The cost is massively expensive too - the cheapest A2 compliant bike I could find was just over £10k.

Not to mention accidentally ‘blipping’ the throttle; it could become very uncontrollable very quickly due to the high torque and response of the electric motor.

Internal combustion engines will never be matched!

Josh
I've been fortunate to ride many Zero electric bikes and I can assure you they are very refined to ride. They have ABS and traction control as standard as well as three different 'power modes.
The first I rode was an A2 legal "S" model and the acceleration embarrassed a ZZR1100!
Range for touring is definitely an issue but the experience of riding them is nothing like normal bikes but probably more addictive.
Cheers Bill

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Gravity feed also a problem on motorcycles. On my first trip on a Norton 16H, it died downhill. Stupid me could not figure out why. Took me hours until I found out why. Too little petrol in the tank.
I don't worry about 2035. But my kids might have a problem what to do with their heritage.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I've been fortunate to ride many Zero electric bikes and I can assure you they are very refined to ride. They have ABS and traction control as standard as well as three different 'power modes.
The first I rode was an A2 legal "S" model and the acceleration embarrassed a ZZR1100!
Range for touring is definitely an issue but the experience of riding them is nothing like normal bikes but probably more addictive.
Cheers Bill
They have a long way to go Bill
the latest propaganda in Bike:
we went round Britain (5000 miles) for £18.69
yes he did but optimum speed was 47mph
it did about 120 miles between charges
what you spent while waiting 90 minutes is anyone's guess
And does no one do the calculation Co2 to make+ Co2 per mile/miles done? evidently a electric car needs to do 33000 miles to equal a petrol car Co2 of the same age!

My money is on hydrogen for new bikes and synthetic zero net carbon petrol for old ones
(unless .gov realises they backed the wrong horse and we all go synthetic before its too late)

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The Zero DSR info says something like 61 miles of general riding, I wouldn't even be able to make it to the local section meeting or bikers cafe and back. As for charging up when you arrive somewhere what would happen at say a race meeting or autojumble where hundreds or thousands turn up.