UK Government plans E10 petrol roll-out from September 2021

G

Graham Smith

DfT wants to make lower-carbon E10 fuel standard - but has promised continued E5 supply for older cars

Lower-carbon E10 petrol, which is made with 10% ethanol, is set to be introduced as standard at UK filling stations from September 2021 under new plans by the government.

Following a consultation on switching petrol grades from E5 (with 5% bioethanol) to E10, the Department for Transport claims the move would reduce the average CO2 emissions of a petrol vehicle by 2% compared with E5 fuel. In total, it could reduce CO2 transport emotions by 750,000 tonnes per year, the equivalent of 350,000 cars.

The government has set a target of reaching net zero carbon emissions by 2050, as part of which it will ban the sales of new combustion-engined cars - including most hybrids - from 2030.

Transport secretary Grant Shapps said: “We’re going further and faster than ever to cut emissions from our roads, cleaning up our air as we accelerate towards a zero-emission transport future.

“Although more and more motorists are driving electric vehicles, there are steps we can take to reduce emissions from the millions of vehicles already on our roads – the small switch to E10 petrol will help drivers across the country reduce the environmental impact of every journey, as we build back greener.”

E10 petrol is currently legal to sell in the UK, but not widely available. The government has already introduced new labelling for petrol pumps, highlighting the biofuel content of every fuel. E10 petrol is currently standard in a number of countries, including France and Germany.

The government says that around 700,000 older cars still used on UK roads would be unable to run E10 fuel, due to the differing mix. Although it estimates a significant number of those will be scrapped by the time the switch is introduced, it notes that some “classic and cherished” older vehicles will remain. To ensure they can continue to run, the government plans to require that higher-octane ‘Super’ fuel will continue to be made to E5 standards while E10 becomes the default for ‘Premium’ grade 95 octane fuel.

Car owners will be able to find out if their vehicle can run on E10 fuel with a dedicated compatibility checker, but cars built post-2011 are legally required to be able to use the fuel.

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
I presume the 2% reduction in emissions is not based on a `per gallon' basis. Otherwise with about a 2% reduction in mpg due to the lower calorific value it amounts to just a tax increase!
And of course, if we have to use `super' we will pay more vat.
Ray

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
i thought new hybrids had till 2035.
Looking at high rise flats and terraced urban roads 2030 looks ambitious
Why dont they make non fossil liquid fuel out of atmospheric CO2 and renewable energy? its not the cost, its all the leeches on the electric car system that will make a killing :the service areas that will 'entertain' captive motorists in stations waiting to charge up, all the car makers using only 1/3rd the workforce and all the money to be made out of a new infrastructure when the old one would have been perfectly OK.
Incidentally I am told s Hydrogen powered motorcycle is a no go because of on board storage problems

Chris.R

VOC Member
Do the Americans use E10 they have had E5 for decades I understand. It is hoped that our classics will still be running many years into the future, I already put in an additive when I fill the tank said to help replacing what has been taken out during refining.
We do not use motorway services anyone who buys petrol there must be nuts, in the car we have always had the makings of coffee and sandwiches those service centres are run by sharks of the worst sort.

vibrac

VOC Member
There will always be fuel for us historic vehicle owners so long as we are organised

Its a pity .gov did not think of this solution they could have saved a lot of money....

Chris.R

VOC Member
In the US, we’ve had 10% for years, maybe since the early ‘80’s.
Does it present you with any special problems that you are aware of other than using ethanol proof pipes and seals and sealing petrol tanks. The additive I use here in UK is Wynn`s lead substitute 15ml to a tank of petrol. they say it protects valve seats and helps if the tank is left with fuel in it and inactive for long periods. I also use redX from time to time, in the old days we always put in a shot of that when refueling.
i thought new hybrids had till 2035.
Looking at high rise flats and terraced urban roads 2030 looks ambitious
Why dont they make non fossil liquid fuel out of atmospheric CO2 and renewable energy? its not the cost, its all the leeches on the electric car system that will make a killing :the service areas that will 'entertain' captive motorists in stations waiting to charge up, all the car makers using only 1/3rd the workforce and all the money to be made out of a new infrastructure when the old one would have been perfectly OK.
Incidentally I am told s Hydrogen powered motorcycle is a no go because of on board storage problems
The lady on a phone in said of electric cars - "I live in a high rise on the fourth floor with no on premises parking how long a cable do I need" guess that says it all.
Chris

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I may have posted this before but if so here it is again as it is relevant to the thread:

E10 Petrol for Historic Vehicle Owners
The FBHVC has recently issued this to clarify the introduction of E10 petrol for historic vehicle
owners.
After an extensive consultation process, the Department for Transport has announced that they will
legislate to introduce E10 petrol as the standard 95-octane petrol grade by 1 September 2021. They
will also require the higher-octane 97+ ‘Super’ grades to remain E5 to provide protection for owners
of older vehicles. This product will be designated as the ‘Protection’ grade.
The introduction of the 95-octane E10 grade and the maintenance of the Super E5 protection grade
will be reviewed by the Government after 5 years to ensure they remain appropriate to the needs of
the market. In relation to the E5 protection grade, such a review will examine market developments
over the period. HM
The government have sought to reassure FBHVC members and historic vehicle owners that, without a
suitable alternative becoming available, it is highly likely the Super E5 protection grade would
continue to be available.
Filling stations that stock 2 grades of petrol and supply at least one million litres of fuel in total each
year, will need to ensure one product is the Super E5 protection grade. While not all filling stations
meet these criteria, almost all towns across the UK will have a filling station that supplies the ‘Super’
grade and currently one major retailer, a national supermarket group, has committed to offer the
product. The main exception to this is in certain parts of the Highlands, north and west coast of
Scotland, which will be covered by an exemption process and allowed to continue to market the 95-
octane E5 grade.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Does it present you with any special problems that you are aware of other than using ethanol proof pipes and seals and sealing petrol tanks.
It affects small motors a lot and many use no-ethanol gas in lawnmowers, weed-whackers, etc. It also leaves a residue that clogs jets, etc., but Sta-Bil or SeaFoam additives in the tank over the winter seems to cure that. I shut my petrol taps when I park in my garage and let the engine drain the carbs, so the residue isn't a problem for the Vin.

Last edited: