UK Election: our issues

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You may manage to avoid them but if you get near a candidate especially one who is standing for your local town/city ask him that if/when they get on the latest emission zone bandwaggon they will remember to exclude historic vehicles from the ban.
A ban would stop us from riding into towns hit charity fund raising events and at least upset a lot of bride journeys to church.
Rest assured the emission zones will spread after the election ,how else can they sell those boring new cars?

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I have checked on the .gov site, motorcycle emissions are not part of the m o t test. So I figure that there will be little data for big brother to use against us.Roy.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have checked on the .gov site, motorcycle emissions are not part of the m o t test. So I figure that there will be little data for big brother to use against us.Roy.

They wont care and will just use vehicle age see low emission zone London
"Motorcycles and similar vehicles – Euro 3 (registered from 1 July 2007 so 13 years old or less in 2020). Non-compliant vehicles will be required to pay a daily charge of £12.50."

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
At present they only have front-facing cameras. That's why the dartford crossing and congestion charge are free for bikes. The rest, for me, is only scaremongering. It will not be cost effective to re align all the cameras. I hope i've got it right. If not I reckon to use a bent number plate. Roy.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes Roy we have a lot to thank that government official who child was cut by a motorcycle front numberplate its wonderful how fast legislators can move if they have an incentive.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A little focus on the forthcoming UK General Election rather than possibly out of place humour.

I try not to get involved in discussions on politics but the following prompted me to make a comment. The latest copy of the Motorcycle Action Group magazine arrived today containing an enlightening letter about the motorcycling policy of the Green Party. Having read the letter I thought surely that can't be right so I checked on the Green Party website and sure enough their policy is as below. (Any highlighting of text is mine not theirs and I should state that I haven't yet checked what the other parties have said regarding motorcycles in their policy documents. )

Motorcycles

TR320 Smaller, low powered motorcycles are generally preferable to cars (especially those with a single occupant) as they take up less road space and are more economic consumers of fuel. However, the Green Party does not wish to see increased use of motorcycles because they emit pollution and noise and can endanger road users. The aim is to encourage much less use of high powered machines and for low powered machines to offer an alternative for those who currently use these or cars and could not transfer to more sustainable modes.

TR321 The Green Party would take measures to encourage a transfer of motor cycle manufacture and use from larger, powerful machines to less powerful ones including scooters and mopeds. These would include setting and enforcing strict noise limits and, for higher powered machines, speed limiters.

TR322 For the safety of other users, the Green Party does not feel it appropriate for motorcyclists to be able to use any priority measures put in for pedestrians and cyclists, including those shared with public transport.

In the UK we have a right to vote for whichever candidate or party we choose. Your choice may be decided because of loyalty, background, tradition, policy or a variety of other things. Before we place our cross on the ballot paper maybe we should check the small print in each parties policy documents.

vibrac

VOC Member
While on the green subject
I have a motorcycle that copies the latest car technology in that the engine stops automatically when stationary at traffic lights etc. It is very quiet uses very little fuel has no rare earths in its exhaust system, is made of the most basic materials and most importantly has long ago repaid all the energy involved in its manufacture.
1925 no clutch 2 speed Douglas.