E: Engine Removing/Loosening the Oil Relief Valve

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just to worry you Vibrac; after I had the UFM clean I decided I would see how much dirt there was in the oil ways in the timing cover. It was not just dirty oil in there but something more determined. It took quite a long time before the dark material stopped flowing. No chunks of shiny aluminium like an oil filter but just black dirt of some sort.
I do agree with you there especially in the "I never move" relief valve tunnel I have yet to find one without a stuck plunger
NB I anyone needs the easy way to release that particular little stuck bung ask me ;)

timetraveller

VOC Member
The last one I did was fairly easy. I used a 1/4" ball bearing against the plunger and a screw driver blade against the ball and gently levered against the opposite side of the hole for the big end quill. When it had move a little another ball and so on until the plunger popped out.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
The last one I did was fairly easy. I used a 1/4" ball bearing against the plunger and a screw driver blade against the ball and gently levered against the opposite side of the hole for the big end quill. When it had move a little another ball and so on until the plunger popped out.
This was a super suggestion. Took me 4 ball bearings to push it out, but it worked great. It had been in place for at least 40 years. Then I put it in my little lathe and sanded off some spots that were causing it to stick (probably rust/corrosion). Used some gun metal blue on it to prevent that in the future and refitted it with a a new spring and dab of grease until it gets some oil flowing through it. Thank you!