UFM Assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Spares Club built Black Shadow that was auctioned off and now resides in a museum in New Zealand, Nelson I believe, was built entirely from new parts, did not that end up with a UK registration giving it legal access to our roads, or have the rules changed in the intervening years.
Correction, The club Black Shadow now resides in Invercargill, Bert Munroe's hometown, sad isn't it, it could have been thrown together with no internal engine components whatsoever, in fact the whole thing could have been made out of paper mache and it would have made no difference for the use it is getting, lets hope at some point someone gets it out of there and uses it. I wish I had had 35k sloshing around in my bank account in 2007, it sure as hell would have some miles on it by now.

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The Spares Club built Black Shadow that was auctioned off and now resides in a museum in New Zealand, Nelson I believe, was built entirely from new parts, did not that end up with a UK registration giving it legal access to our roads, or have the rules changed in the intervening years.
Yes it did end up with a UK registration. After a lot of negotiations by my predecessor Gordon and other VOC members the DVLA allowed it as a one off. It was not classed as historic, but as a new modern bike and still had to pass quite a few of the regulation as of 10 years ago. The DVLA & DOT said they would not allow another hence the reason no more have been built. Today the rules are even tighter as emissions have been tightened up. I believe it's very difficult to get an air cooled engine pass even with fuel injection etc.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
In the course of my business, we frequently replace frame members.
They do not come numbered from BMW, we have to get them professionally engraved with the existing number..
There is no requirement to inform DVLA or return the old frame member.
Bill

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
In the course of my business, we frequently replace frame members.
They do not come numbered from BMW, we have to get them professionally engraved with the existing number..
There is no requirement to inform DVLA or return the old frame member.
Bill
I would have thought that was what was done by Vincents in the old days, Seems a good idea to me.
Many years ago I was involved with a Big Car Garage who did Crash Repairs, Some where Huge, If a car was New ish, It would be hard to write it off, One we started with just the floor !!, I did the engine out etc and suspension, But as long as the bit of bodywork had the numbers it was still the same car !!.
It's a shame just a few people making big money, Mess it up for us who are just trying to keep this stuff on the road, We should be paid for trying to keep a bit of History. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
When we built our Egli Racer with a new engine we applied to the VOC registrar for an engine number and thats what we stamped on it.
I hear what Chrislaun says about the future but its up to us to support all the organisations like the BMF MAG (why are they not combined yet?) the FBHVC and LARA and other bodies to keep our roads free for pleasure as well as transport.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I am not sure how the French equivalent of DVLA deal with such matters, but in a conversation I had with Patrick Godet earlier this year he intimated that he is running out of options to register brand new Egli Vincents, meanwhile there are thousands of VW cars, and most other makes also that are being driven around after declaring false emission figures, probably far more polluting than a brand new, normally aspirated Vincent.

greg brillus

VOC Member
At the end of the day all their smart ass answers mean nothing except the huge feeling of importance they must feel when they can knock something back. Who in the hell is going to mass produce these bikes.............have you actually ever sat down and added up the total cost of parts to produce a new one, plus the cost of labour these days to assemble and fine tune one ready to sell................It's never going to happen............. The facts are that these parts that represent the main back bone of a bike are not going to be available too much longer. The best thing anyone can do is put some form of numbers on them that is similar to the originals, and tell the authorities as little info as they need to get the machine registered.......The more you tell them the closer you are to hanging yourself. I go out of my way to make sure the original numbers are visible...........When you get some high paid white collar worker at the registry office telling you to sand off the paint on the Shadow engine so they can read it ..................That does not go down well with me.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
At the end of the day all their smart ass answers mean nothing except the huge feeling of importance they must feel when they can knock something back. Who in the hell is going to mass produce these bikes.............have you actually ever sat down and added up the total cost of parts to produce a new one, plus the cost of labour these days to assemble and fine tune one ready to sell................It's never going to happen............. The facts are that these parts that represent the main back bone of a bike are not going to be available too much longer. The best thing anyone can do is put some form of numbers on them that is similar to the originals, and tell the authorities as little info as they need to get the machine registered.......The more you tell them the closer you are to hanging yourself. I go out of my way to make sure the original numbers are visible...........When you get some high paid white collar worker at the registry office telling you to sand off the paint on the Shadow engine so they can read it ..................That does not go down well with me.

It's fantastic that most spares can be bought that are brand new and of a good standard, but it does carry risk. A pair of new crankcases can now be had that are better quality than the ones that came out of Stevenage, yet a pair of originals usually cost more. This suggests most owners are more interested in originality than quality of the part.
So far so good, any attempt to pass off new for old by stamping #s is therefore done for potential gain. The old fashioned name for this was fraud, no idea what the modern terminology is.

Vince Farrell

vibrac

VOC Member
At the same Auction that the new Shadow was sold an old Rapide went for a higher priceo_O, There you have it, a brand new sorted Shadow! that had already been fettled by the best hands in the club ridden by the press to great aclaim and was ready to ride for years and years,
No-one in the club wanted it so it went to Auction fortunately the sum paid covered the Clubs outlay but it is a sad reflection of the times, as that new Shadow now sits in a NZ museum:mad:, I doubt it did 1000 miles I think those facts say more about modern attitudes to Vincents than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.