Tyres

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What is considered the best tyres for grip in both wet and dry. How good are Avon roadrider and what is the best combination of sizes. ??? 90/90-19 front 100/90 or 100/90-18 rear: ??? I don't like the standard roadrunner rear and ribbed front:

vibrac

VOC Member
well if you don't like a 3.00" ribbed front on a 20" wheel then there is a gulf of understanding about Vincents that you may find difficult to cross....
I know,I know Bens racer has 18" wheels for the racing rubber and the ex-trials outfit comet has a 19" front* but at least each time I had a good reasons to stray from the path of righteousness:rolleyes:. (* as soon as I get some spare cash...)

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Had the standard wheels, ribbed front tire and various Avon rears, it felt OK until I switched to flanged alloy rims, wm 3 x18 rear, wm 3 x 19 front.
Mounted 4.00 x 18 Avon roadrider rear (roughly the same width as a 120 ) and a 100/90/19 Roadrider front. I like this much better than the old setup. It is rated to carry much more weight, the front end doesn't squiggle around on expanded metal bridge surfaces or grooved pavement, and it feels a lot better (stickier) when leaned over at speed.
The bigger rear tire is also going to hang in for about 50% greater mileage than the smaller profile 19" stock size did.
Glen

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have 100/90 V 19" Avon Roadriders on both wheels and they work fine for me . I always found that the ribbed front tyre was susceptible to defections in the road surface.

BH10.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Nulli, What size rims do you use, They look like WM3 ? . I have 100/90/19 on the front, And 110/90/18 on the back, WM2 rim/f, WM3 rim/rear, I find the steering a bit slow, I was thinking of 90/90 on the front ?, But I am not as Brave as you !!, Cheers Bill.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello Bill,

On the Rapide I have a WM3 (2.15") on the rear and a WM2 (1.85") on the front. Just checked the Commando, which has a Mick Hemmings built rear wheel and one of his new Norvil front wheels and they are WM2 front and rear. I don't find the steering slow, but then I'm not jumping on other bikes and then perhaps finding that they are quicker in the steering department, so maybe I am just conditioned to the Vincent's traits.

The other thing is are all Vincents the same? I've heard many say that their bike does not like to go around corners and a mate, that currently has a friends Rapide, that sounds a real nightmare with regards to handling, may take it to the island for me to have a test ride on.........

Cheers

Dave

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
roadriders are the buisness. The rap had 130/90 18 rear, 100/90 19front. Fitted the same to the norvin. When Phil Read inspected it, he said it would steer better with a smaller front tyre. A little while ago I fitted a disc front end to the rap, along with 90/90 19 tyre, Mr Read was right, it now steers so much quicker.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
What tyre pressures do you lads use ? I don't like the idea of too high, I think I may be too low, Might try a few more pounds, Wish we could still buy the Red Arrows I had in the 80s, With my set up they were Perfect, With a ribbed front. Cheers Bill.

derek

VOC Member
Thanks for all of the above very helpful, but how are the roadriders in the wet, as I have had a recent slide off, but may have been due to a slow puncture which became a full flat six miles later. All of this in very heavy rain.