Tyres

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is a newish tyre out there, I do not have an opinion whether they are any good or suitable for Vincents but they are available to suit the smaller diameter wheels, 19 front 18 rear, they are a radial tyre, is that a good thing on a Vincent? Continental Conti Classic Attack, tubeless, but tube can be fitted, anyone tried them yet? There is someone selling a kit to convert a conventional spoked wheel to tubeless using little sticky spoke end caps and gooey tape, does not seem like a good idea to me, I will stick with tubes.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The tread pattern doesn't look too classic to me. But, then I have Avon RoadRiders on my Rap.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The tread pattern doesn't look too classic to me. But, then I have Avon RoadRiders on my Rap.

I agree that the looks are not classic, I have been searching for good tyres for a Honda CB77 that look right without to much success, these Contis came to my attention through my Son searching for tyres for a Kawasaki H1 500 triple, notoriously known as the widow maker, apparently these tyres work exceedingly well on that bike, to the point where the technical advice from Cambrian Tyres was "look no further, this is the only tyre to fit" if the Vincent solo racers were to use those tyre sizes I just wonder how they would perform, leaving the aesthetics aside.

highbury731

VOC Member
Found on the Cambrian tyres website:

"Sizes available:

Front: 100/90 R19 57V Tubeless

Rear: 110/90 R18 61V Tubeless
120/90 R18 65V Tubeless

100/90 R19 57V TL replaces 3.25 -19

110/90 R18 61V TL replaces 4.00 -18

120/90 R18 65V TL replaces 4.25 -18

All ContiClassicAttack tyres can be fitted with an inner tube when used on tube type wheel rims.

Continental Motorcycle Brand Manager, Graham Matcham said: "Riders of classic machines deserve the same levels of performance and safety as riders of modern bikes. In fact many classic bike owners also have a newer bike in the garage and this leads them to have greater expectations of their tyres. We believe the ContiClassicAttack radial is a major leap forward over traditional bias-ply designs; bringing classic bike tyre technology into the 21st century and breathing new life into classic bikes."

That means they are targeting the classic bike market. These tyres are meant to fit our bikes. Don't modern rims have a lip to engage with a lipped edge to the tyre?

Comments, flak etc.

vibrac

VOC Member
A kit to make tubed wheels tubeless... Hells teeth I will keep away from that

I recently tested a GS1200 after the ride I said "when I pushed that button it says 2,422 and later it said 2,523?"
"Ah no" said the sales man "thats 24 22 thats your tyre pressures...."

davidd

VOC Member
Continental seems to have made a push in recent months. For the racers, Dunlop stopped making the KR164a an KR124a and replaced them with a KR145a, which is slightly larger. Continental seems to have filled the hole by offering classic sized tires. Many of the racers are using the Heidenau tires also. The offer a side car tire as well: http://heidenautires.com/motorcycle-street-tires

I was hoping someone had tried the tubeless tire on spoked wheels. I know of many who have done it with no failures, but I have not worked up the nerve!

David

dave g6xnc

Non-VOC Member
Tyre pressure sensors are an expensive addition and apparently easy to break off whilst pumping up the tyre!. So, if your thinking of a GS get an 1150
(90,00 on mine) and get on the UKGSER site first. (just waving the other flag!).

Rob H

VOC Member
Whats the current possiblitiles for 20 front and 19 rear. My tyres are getting a bit old now and want to get rid of the SM on the rear whaich has typically worn quite square

vibrac

VOC Member
Your choice is much improved if you include the racing tyres (in my case with a wonderful center tread from Bens HRD)
I did read somewhere that the sidewall 'NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE' was just for the land of the free and the lawyers rich picking ground i.e: the USA

Rob H

VOC Member
Your choice is much improved if you include the racing tyres (in my case with a wonderful center tread from Bens HRD)
I did read somewhere that the sidewall 'NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE' was just for the land of the free and the lawyers rich picking ground i.e: the USA

Do you have any links or contact details I can check them out?