H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Tyres for Comet

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would like to replace my tyre on the Comet since are 20 year old. Not many km, just old rubber.
Actually I have:
Front: AVON Speedmaster 3.0H20
Rear: DUNLOP Roadmaster TT100 4.10H19
Any advice or recommendation on tyre brand/measure?
AVON are not really popular in Italy and run out of stock to VOC Spare Co too

Since I'll remove the wheels I'll check the brake shoes too. How much is the minimum thickness of the brake material?
In VOC Spare co I notice the possibility to do brake shoes extend.
Do you know how it work and if it is worth the expense? Price difference from original is huge!!!
Thanks

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As best I know, the Avon Speedmaster is the only 20" street tire currently available. Avon makes them sporadically in batches, so if they're not available now they will be at some point.

For the rear, you can go with the Avon SM Mk II (square profile, vintage look), the Avon Roadrider Mk II (modern tread style), Avon AM9 Roadrunner, your current Dunlop K81 or a Dunlop K70 (older tread styles).

All these tires have modern rubber compounds and will grip well; the square profiles on the SM and K70 probably don't do much for cornering, though.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think you will find that it is the construction of the shoe that makes the difference in price not the length of the lining the new shoes are just stiffer
I think you just need to use the exchange scheme or get them redone locally

timetraveller

VOC Member
A batch of new brake shoes has been made and is currently being lined. Available in about a month from previous experience. I will post on here when ready.

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think you will find that it is the construction of the shoe that makes the difference in price not the length of the lining the new shoes are just stiffer
I think you just need to use the exchange scheme or get them redone locally
I see. What i mean is not the length of the lining but the thickness, that to understand if it is time to replace the brake shoes or not

vibrac

VOC Member
I think most judge the wear by the limit of acceptable lever movement consistent with easy adjustment and actuation angle.
I get my shoes relined by Saftek in UK, and get thick linings that I then turn to fit drum but thats a council of semi perfection for racing

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
It looks like tires are getting hard to find. A friend of mine has a C Rapide with 21" in front and 19" rear. What do you good folks recommend? I see that Roadriders are no longer available in those sizes.

My bike is a bit easier, since it's a D with 19 front and 18 rear.

I should add that he is also located in the US.

shortun

VOC Member
Regarding your brake shoe linings you might find the linings are riveted on and if the wear is approaching the rivet head it's time for a reline, which you might be able to get done locally to you and the lining will now be bonded to the shoe not riveted.

vibrac

VOC Member
Dont be caught out by manufacturers web sites generally in UK the 21" appear on big distributors web sites not makers because its they who order the batch made and often they who parcel them out