PR: Proprietary Items Two seats

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The first seat photo shows the VOC Spares Co. cover on their squab.
This replaced an original ripped and cracked pterodaktyl skin cover over a crumbling shale cushion.
I no longer fear riding the bike further than 20 miles.
The previous owner replaced almost the entire motorcycle with new parts but decided to hang onto the original seat.
It's a very comfortable seat now.
The Spares Co items are good items.

The second photo shows a nice cover supplied by Robert Watson over what turned out to be a Dunlopillo cushion. The previous cover appeared to have been done by a " screw-it-up yourselfer". It had multiple wrinkles in one area.
After much use, it finally developed a small fissure on the side, so it was time to replace.
Small point, this new cover has a finer grain than the Spares Co item. I like that, but others might prefer the Spares Co cover.

Both of these covers were fitted by professionals.
The first was done by a retired friend who is an upholsterer by trade. He apprenticed on stuff like this forty years ago but spent most of his working life making custom boat tops.
He said it was a bit of a tough job getting all of the wrinkles out on the sides with so much curvature in the shape.

The second seat was done recently by a local professional, a Korean fellow, last name Ho, goes by the great business name " Happy Ho's Upholstery"
He also thought it was a fairly involved shape to recover. He used steam to get the material to pull smoothly into the curves.
He said the Dunlopillo cushion looked as new. It is probably about forty years old and has had bums on it for at least 100,000 miles. We've done 60 thousand with it.
The comfort is great, it is superior to the very good Spares Co items.
When I first got the bike someone commented that it must be a tortuous seat as the foam was too thick, and a thick foam is always uncomfortable.
We found that it was super comfortable. I measured the cushion height and its only 1/4" greater than the Spares company squab.
The original rotting shale squab was much thinner, but that may have been from compression over the ages.
So if you can find a Dunlopillo squab in perfect condition, by all means use it. If not, the Spares Co items are perfectly good for comfort on one of those 400 mile days.

Glen
IMG_20200525_121845.jpg

IMG_20200525_121943.jpg

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So both covers are from the Spares Co then.
The cover in the upper photo was purchased about two years ago.

Glen