two questions on te section reviews MPH765

D

Deleted member 1085

If you are happy with what your are doing that is fine. I am more comfortable using a sensor and readout. Why shouldn't old vehicles be given the benefit of appropriate new technology and associated gismos. BTW Luddites were against faster machinery - new technology? ( " Principal objection of the Luddites was to the introduction of new wide-framed automated looms that could be operated by cheap, relatively unskilled labour, resulting in the loss of jobs for many skilled textile workers". Wikipedia.)
Don't see how using a Lamda sensor to ensure "correct" mixture can be a "
dubious benefit".

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you are happy with what your are doing that is fine. I am more comfortable using a sensor and readout. Why shouldn't old vehicles be given the benefit of appropriate new technology and associated gismos. BTW Luddites were against faster machinery - new technology? ( " Principal objection of the Luddites was to the introduction of new wide-framed automated looms that could be operated by cheap, relatively unskilled labour, resulting in the loss of jobs for many skilled textile workers". Wikipedia.)
Don't see how using a Lamda sensor to ensure "correct" mixture can be a "
dubious benefit".

Vive la difference. Once our names are on the log book the bikes are ours to do with as we will, and it's nice to see all the different ways owners keep them on the road. My original question was, why would "I" want a Lambda sensor?

I was also playing the Devil's Advocat to a point, I do know what a Lamda sensor is, and what it does, but surely to get any real value out of it, it needs to be connected to a computer (ECU) which will control a much more sophisticated fuel system than my ageing MkI Amals.

If you want to continue the Wikipedia/Luddite analogy. If you develop your machine to suit unskilled labour (rider in our case) you end up with a bored workforce with no job satisfaction. My Fireblade does everything better than the Egli, but it has no soul and no character. Do "I" want to make my Egli more like the Fireblade..............Heck No.

H

D

Deleted member 1085

All sounds fine to me. I use the sensor to set up the carbs, once set, not used. Allows a voltmeter to be used to check the mixture, say when on the road and when on a Dyno, it allows each cylinder to be checked for correct mixture. Well that's how I use it. Never did get on with killing the ignition and checking the colour of the plugs. With today's fuels, I am not sure how accurate the colour check is nor the use of a colour tune. But I am sure others with have different views. As ever, each to his own. ATB K

Howard

VOC Member
All sounds fine to me. I use the sensor to set up the carbs, once set, not used. Allows a voltmeter to be used to check the mixture, say when on the road and when on a Dyno, it allows each cylinder to be checked for correct mixture. Well that's how I use it. Never did get on with killing the ignition and checking the colour of the plugs. With today's fuels, I am not sure how accurate the colour check is nor the use of a colour tune. But I am sure others with have different views. As ever, each to his own. ATB K

Ah, but you've never lived until you've been out at 6 am on a Sunday morning, coasting at 90 mph with a dead engine, waiting to do a plug check. :)

H

D

Deleted member 1085

Ah, but you've never lived until you've been out at 6 am on a Sunday morning, coasting at 90 mph with a dead engine, waiting to do a plug check. :)

H
Yes, but only just! That's why I don't do it any more.

Howard

VOC Member
I usually find by the third run the mixture's spot on ............................. or I go home for more Valium.

H

edward

Forum User
VOC Member
I didn't see this thread until after I posted mine which so far no one has commented on, with regard to using the Honda kickstart our intention was to mill a square end onto a homemade kickstart shaft(already made) then weld the half inch square drive part of a socket into the end of the Honda kickstart. I saw the photo of the Norvin in MPH with a Honda kickstart fitted but still can't work out how he can possibly get a decent swing without slamming against the stop.