two questions on te section reviews MPH765

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
NORVIN SECTION. "Kick start lever fitted from Honda CB 750": Does this fit the vincent spline, or are alterations required?

EGLI SECTION. "Lambda ports fitted to exhaust": At what position and what are they like, are all lambda probes the same, screw in or clip fit, voltage etc.

Howard

VOC Member
CB 750 spline is smaller than Vincent, so it can be "opened out".

What's a Lamda port, and why would I want/need one?

H

davidd

VOC Member
EGLI SECTION. "Lambda ports fitted to exhaust": At what position and what are they like, are all lambda probes the same, screw in or clip fit, voltage etc.

Derek,

A Lambda port is another term for oxygen sensor bung. These can be purchased from most auto suppliers. You can get the sensor, the bung and the close off nut or buy them individually. There are some different sizes, but Bosch is the largest supplier.

Placement is important. No more than 8" from the port for singles. You want to place the sensor where the flow is high and the temperature is high so there is no moisture on the sensor. Moisture will give odd readings. On cars the placement is usually further downstream just past the end of the header in order to measure all of the cylinders.

Flow guys hate these ports because they interupt the flow in the exhaust pipe. It is not unusual for them to thread in an aluminum plug and grind it smooth from the inside to minimize the problem. If you do not have a port, a wand with a sensor can be inserted in the pipe.

The sensors generally plug into a moitor that has a power supply: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=O2SENSOR

David

Last edited:

Howard

VOC Member
Derek,

A Lambda port is another term for oxygen sensor bung. These can be purchased from most auto suppliers. You can get the sensor, the bung and the close off nut or buy them individually. There are some different sizes, but Bosch is the largest supplier.

Placement is important. No more than 8" from the port for singles. You want to place the sensor where the flow is high and the temperature is high so there is no moisture on the sensor. Moisture will give odd readings. On cars the placement is usually further downstream just past the end of the header in order to measure all of the cylinders.

Flow guys hate these ports because they interupt the flow in the exhaust pipe. It is not unusual for them to thread in an aluminum plug and grind it smooth from the inside to minimize the problem. If you do not have a port, a wand with a sensor can be inserted in the pipe.

The sensors generally plug into a moitor that has a power supply: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=O2SENSOR

David

Thanks David. And, I want one because.................. (no more than 50 simple words).

I'm afraid I've made a conscious effort to stop the development of my Egli in the 70s (when it was built) ................................. apart from Pazon and a nice white headlamp bulb.

H

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The c b starter mount is smaller than the vin, my machinist found it easier to reduce the size of the shaft- it gets done with his "available" tooling. I really cannot see why anybody would fool with lambda sensors on a motor with carburettors, these are great on fuel injected jobs, but the c-o levels are so different between the two types I cannot beleive them to be worthwhile.

davidd

VOC Member
I am inclined to agree with Roy, who certainly has a lot of dyno experience. On a vintage bike an oxygen sensor is not as useful as it is on a fuel injected bike. It will, however, measure instantaneously, showing misfire for example.

The term "Lambda" means "Stoichiometric", namely, the ideal ratio of fuel to air. So, 1 lambda means no oxygen or an ideal burn. That is where the term "Lambda port" came from.

David

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks David. And, I want one because.................. (no more than 50 simple words). "Because I wanted to check the mixture using a lambda sensor as I am not a luddite".

Keith

I also own modern bikes with sensors, and I wouldn't dream of taking them off, but if after 38 years of Vincent ownership I needed a Samba sensor to set up my carbs (to my satisfaction) I'd get rid of the old girl and stick to 4 wheels!

We're talking 60 year old vehicles, let them enjoy their old age. If you want high tech, buy a Yamasuki XZGSXCB 1000.

BTW Luddites were against new faster machinery, not fitting dubious benefit gizmos to their existing looms.

H

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Derek,
the Vincent splines are more per circumference and the diameter is larger than the Honda pattern. Moreover, you cannot mill the Honda splines onto the original kickstart shaft, as it would not allow the kickstart lever to pass the footrest. The shaft has to be app. 1/2" longer to do the trick.
I have tried to use a welded special which broke after some 20 or so kicks - so forget this idea!
Ernst Hegeler of Varel, Germany, has these shafts availbl. His phone no: 004944516450, but: You should talk German, if you call him, or send an email to
zweirad-hegeler@web.de.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Little Honda, you can re-machine a standard vin starter shaft to accept a cb 750 crank i have done it ,(well my machinist has)any body who says otherwise is about to have his future told, watch this space!