Two B's on two "A's" on Route 66

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
2,451 miles to go, with four dyslexics, two of whom are diabetics, and two classic motorcycles from the 1930s. Route 66 beckons, what can possibly go wrong?

Hello everybody, we are at it again.

Having failed on my first attempt to cross the USA in 2014 I am back with my brother Marcus and having another go starting today.

If you would like to see the blog go to:

http://hrd66.blogspot.com/

If you’d like to be notified whenever there is a posting put your email address in the box at the top of the page and you’ll get it automatically whenever I post. And you won’t get any spam.

Happy days

Harvey

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
For those in the LA area and not on the So Cal section contact list, the Bowden brothers and gang are scheduled to arrive in LA this weekend. Bill Easter is hosting a reception for them Sunday afternoon. Contact Bill to let him know if you are going. PM me if you don't have contact info for Bill.

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You are rather optimistic don't you think!! Although I guess they have made it to Seligman AZ......Plus I'm not sure Ross constitutes a gang, although he will probably prove me wrong! Have fun

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
FINISHED ! ? Harvey's wife Ann was waiting down the slope onto the pier but we saw the Lobster Restaurant and the arch over the last bit of road so had our final photo there taken by Bill Easter who waited over two hours. Delayed, as I'd left my fuel on over night, about 1.5 Litres (3 pints) into crank case through front carb I can only surmise. Drained out the sump & oil tank plus catchment area for scavenge pump, refilled and an hour later set off then to fuel up. Having drained my fuel tank the previous day and found gunge / crap that was poured into John Huegal's very absorbent drive, sorry John for the mess. After getting to the end of Route 66 Harvey, Ann, Bruno (1st son of Harvey & Ann) and Ross went for a meal at the Lobster. I was still full from the English breakfast John had given us the last two mornings so I opted to ride back with Bill, who filtered traffic nearly as good as I do which I was very thankful for as trying to travel in convoy in 4 to 6 lanes of traffic and knowing how hot the engine gets while stationary was a nice relief to follow Bill. Then the So. Cal. Sec. members turn up. What a lovely surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Ian my handsome, Not so much as Harvey has done as I was out of the circuit for three days as I attended the memorial service of Kenneth Smith in Philadelphia and left the R 66 at Tulsa and rejoined in Albuquerque as Harvey had done 600 miles plus and a lot of sight seeing done. The best was yet to come as we had an engagement this morning at the Big Dog Garage of Jay Leno, not expecting to see him as he was over at the East Coast, we arrived on time with only Harvey riding as I've had problems starting and didn't want to hold up Harvey's planning. We were shown into one of the hangers with a sign (No Photos) Jim who met us excused himself so Ross took out his camera and just wanted to have a photo of us all inside Jays garage , Jim returns with Jay Leno himself, big surprise, Harvey asks is it OK to Photo , SURE he reply's . Then he took us around himself , a little sleepy eyed for the first ten minutes but gave a good cross section of his collection and extremely knowledgeable . Ross & Harvey got a lot of photo, and I took mostly video of him talking BUT might have just lost them putting them unto my hardrive, then it fell off the end of the cable after I had deleted the images from the SD card. now cannot open hard drive !!!! sugar & sausages 1500 miles tops Harvey 2500 miles plus as we did do extra going down dead ends and there is a lot of them. The last 60 miles from John Huegal's to Santa Monica we did on I 10 interstate as the R66 is not suitable for "A's", traffic lights every few hundred yards , nightmare two years ago in a 4x4.