Twistgrip

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm cracking-on with my Shadow concours restoration at last; its only been about 32 years in the building - and now its on its wheels and beginning to look good.

I just sent for a single-pull twistgrip from the VOC Spares Co but the one I received (Taiwanese) is nothing like what I've seen on a Vincent before. It looks exactly the same as this one I found on another website. Any thoughts?

http://www.classicbikepartscheshire...no-364-twistgrip-for-classic-motorcycle-p1623

KTB just says, rather unhelpfully, its "nothing special" - but it would help to know what model/shape/characteristics I should be looking for if I am to get the right one. Anyone got an old original one that I can restore?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
I feel if the VOC spares is going to sell you an item it should be the correct part that will pass under the concourse rules and not be cheap Indian or Asian junk ,you can buy on ebay for half the price.
Peter

A_HRD

VOC Member
Correct Twistgrip

I feel if the VOC spares is going to sell you an item it should be the correct part that will pass under the concourse rules and not be cheap Indian or Asian junk ,you can buy on ebay for half the price.
Peter

I'm inclined to agree, but I can always send it back for a refund or credit - which I probably will. My issue is what is the correct twist grip? And I think I have answered my own question with this photo of a remarkably intact original Shadow from Chicago. I'll seek one like this at the next round of autojumbles....

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
Image 10.jpgImage 19.jpg

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Peter
It looks like a standard AMAL or Bowden throttle.
I'll have a look in the pile in the garage tomorrow and let you know.

Is you email still the same?

Neil

Albervin

VOC Member
You could always fit a locking Feridax item. Not standard I know but very much "period" and we know Feridax makes great seats :)

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Amal type16/117CE overall length 7.375" for .875" or 22mm. bar. Shorter type 16/117CE 6" overall. See what Burlen can sell you, Cheers.

greg brillus

VOC Member
From what i've seen there are a couple of original types that Amal supplied, the one in your photo's is one and the other is similar if not a bit smaller. Both have the clamp screws on the top side, and a friction adjusting screw with locknut on the underside. Unfortunately the new ones available these days are very ordinary, and the one available from Burlins is the wrong type.....being larger and with more adjusters/stops on it, which is nothing like the ones fitted at the factory. Best to seek a good original and get it replated... you do find them quite readily at swap meets, from what i've found anyway......Cheers ...Greg.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Once more a superb resource we have here with so many experienced people willing to give of their knowledge so freely. Thank you one and all for such enlightening and helpful replies.

Best Wishes,

Peter B