twin wont start

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi fitted new liners and pistons cams etc

Timed with dial gauges and disk will not fire with electric leg.

Does front cylinder timing lag rear by 50 degrees or 410.

Have spark, compresion , but plugs dry.
Vincent owner for 36 years but now puzzled.

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Spark + compression both useful, but do they co-incide? worth checking this one remove plugs, check that the spark appears at the same time as the "puff". If not either timing incorrect or plug leads on wrong way round. If the plugs are dry sounds like lack of fuel. good luck, roy.

John Cone

VOC Member
Nor would mine start at 4.00am this morning when i knocked off work. As i walked towards it i could see that i had left the ignition on. Must wire in that warning light this weekend. And no comments from the magneto fraternaty please.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Remove all of the inspection caps...and time to the rear cylinder. Then double check the timing on the front..if the timing on the front cylinder varies from the rear..change the rear cylinder to split the difference so that front and rear are identical - Mag cams are not always perfect. Squirt some gas in the carbs, or tickle them until you get a squirt out of the bowls. If this doesn't work, ship the bike to me postage paid and I will sort it for you and even break it in. Please include a bottle of single malt for my efforts.

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
What single malt do you use for after shave.

Have BTH mag fitted last year so no cams there. before I striped barrels it started on electric leg with one push of the button.

Back liner broke its flange, new liners and pistons from my pal Bob Culver.

I have fresh petrol in both floats , Have done something silly but dont know what , YET!!

Wil check timing for fourth time. Any more idears welcome.

All the best Ray

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi fitted new liners and pistons cams etc

Timed with dial gauges and disk will not fire with electric leg.

Does front cylinder timing lag rear by 50 degrees or 410.

Have spark, compresion , but plugs dry.
Vincent owner for 36 years but now puzzled.
Any fuel in the tank, and the taps open ?
Didn`t read the last post. So you have fuel in the bowl, but not after. Clean the carbs out.

Last edited:

mr.hutch

VOC Member
Good to hear you have overcome the starting problems, Ray,
but there is nothing more frustrating in my mind than not knowing the fundamental cause for the successful effect. All may be revealed in due course.

mr. hutch :)

QUOTE=raygray;27994]Bike now running well. found no cause but now starts a first prod.

Many thanks to all sugestions.
Ray[/QUOTE]