ET: Engine (Twin) Twin: rear engine mounting bolt F47/F83?

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The UFM bolt on series D model rear heads is fully tightened. So no expansion slot.
Mac
The D steering head forging is connected to the UFM by a single stud possibly permitting expansion to rotate the steering head forging.
But what about the Victor ? :) . Cheers Bill.
The distance between the Victor's front head and the back of the UFM isn’t affected by expansion any more than a Comet's.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
There are a substantial number of Eglis running with the engine bolted solidly into the frame. Despite many of these being very high power engines none of them have seemed to cause any problems related to temperature. I would not dismiss it as a potential problem. I know the Phils did a lot of work on expansion caused by temperature, it just has not been a common problem in practice. I have also seen Eglis with no bolt (and no hole) in the rear cylinder lug.

I am not certain that I would call cutting off the gearbox "heresy". Again, a lot of work went into designing the gearbox specifically to be cut off. Doing so would not have bothered Vincent or Irving considering they designed it to be cut off easily. For the most part it is a lot of work and usually makes little sense.

David
A million years ago, when assigned to Paddock marshalling duties at the SUNBAC Silverstone High Speed Trials, I spotted Mr Slater on an Egli in the queue to get out onto the circuit for practice. While looking at the Egli I noticed that the rear frame/head mounting bolt was missing. Thinking this might be a mistake I drew it to his attention.

"Yes", he said, "It's too rigid if you put that in".

Exit young marshal somewhat bemused.
Tatty

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
I am not certain that I would call cutting off the gearbox "heresy". Again, a lot of work went into designing the gearbox specifically to be cut off. Doing so would not have bothered Vincent or Irving considering they designed it to be cut off easily. For the most part it is a lot of work and usually makes little sense.

David
Here we are a gearbox ready to be fitted to your Triumph or Norton special :p

1571075870688.png
:p

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Have you a photo of what is left of the Engine ?.
Surly it must have a great big hole in the back of it ?.
I thought the last one I saw had the front bit left on the Engine ?
I have never seen one for myself. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
One member had it at a Stafford show ( I think it was 2017) I took a snap I guess it was after a monumental blow up back in the day.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
So, You can have an Engine, Or a gearbox, But not easy to have one of each from a unit ?.
I was shocked to see a photo of a gearbox, Some time ago, With no front casing,
Never thought about it before, Can't see the point, I did have one Disaster with a Twin Gearbox,
But it was my fault !.
Mostly I think they worked well for me, And if you want faster Gear Changes, Just fit a Multi plate Clutch,
And Double Backlash the Gears.
Cheers Bill.

stu spalding

VOC Member
I did hear of plans to make gearbox castings to reclaim chopped twin engines back to standard but I guess nothing came of it. Cheers, Stu.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Didn't Derek Parkin cut out the central part of the engine and gearbox castings to save weight and have a common oil reservoir, can't quite see how you would get the required oil levels, but I am sure he did this.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
With the crank flinging oil round I don't think you'd need any other gearbox lubrication, some drag racers used to use just one or two gears and used the box as the oil tank