Twin pull throttles

davidjoyner

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi can anyone recommend a twinpull throttle body but not a doherty thing! I have just bought a domino one but it is just too quick an action, so if anyone likes a quick action throttle I can oblige.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I use a Tommaselli 1/4 turn unit....bought it and installed in about 1986....a bit of lube every few years...

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Hi can anyone recommend a twinpull throttle body but not a doherty thing! I have just bought a domino one but it is just too quick an action, so if anyone likes a quick action throttle I can oblige.

I assume that what I have is off of a Bonneville or similar.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Straight pull twin cable throttle

If you are after standard appearance this won’t help you at all but my twin uses a brilliant combined front brake and twistgrip. The twist grip tube has a bevel gear on it to drive the similarly geared cam on the top. This cam pulls a sideplate type chain, smoothly at first but then more fiercely as it rolls onto the cam lobe. This in turn pulls a sliding block, parallel with the handlbars pulling both inner cables. The cables were made and fitted decades ago and have never needed further attention. The front brake lever mounting to the handlebar has no flexibility and the lever is doglegged so it pulls back parallel to the twistgrip. In its original application on a late 70’s BMW boxer, it carried a switch pack with starter and kill switches and sometimes lights on/off. Specifically it seems to be from the period when BMW mounted the front brake master cylinder under the tank and operated it by cable, probably R series /6 or/7. A thumb adjustable damper screw is available to act as a cruise control but I prefer to use it with a Busters throttle rocker. The combined lever/twistgrips still come up on ebay fairly often and I would recommend it to riders. I’d assume that if hydraulics are required for disc brakes the later models would have as good a throttle. I use one with a matching clutch lever now fitted with K series switches. Any of these bits will blow any chance of a concours prize.

Cheers,

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Twin pull throttle

I have a Magura twin pull throttle, which I never think about. It just functions. The original one seemed engaged in a constant battle to shut itself, while resisting opening. I also have magura clutch and (twin pull) brake levers. They are VERY well made.

davidjoyner

Non-VOC Member
I have a Magura twin pull throttle, which I never think about. It just functions. The original one seemed engaged in a constant battle to shut itself, while resisting opening. I also have magura clutch and (twin pull) brake levers. They are VERY well made.
Thanks for responding Tom, I have just bought a nice Tomassellis but it is only about a quarter turn, haven't ridden the bike yet (front brake getting done by messrs Speet&Volker. Suspect it will be too quick an action. Can you remember where yoiu got the Magura. Regards dave

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi,
if you are interested I have some where in the garage a b.m.w.type twist grip that was on my twin when first I bought it. this has a slow action at the start, and speeds up as the grip is twisted.
stumpy lord.