C: Clutch Twin Primary Chain PD1

Trickymicky

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've got the primary side of my Rapide in bits. Its got an original Renold England chain. The tension adjuster looks to have about 3/16 of adjustment left and the blade is in good condition. I cant decide whether to replace it. Normally i would, but i'm unsure of the quality of the available replacements. and wonder if this one is better quality than the new ones, and still serviceable?
If not, is there a preferred make of replacement. Thanks.

Last edited:

A_HRD

VOC Member
Tsubaki used to be the triplex chain of choice - very strong and robust automotive chain. But unfortunately they followed the other chain manufacturers and discontinued it a few years ago. There is now no manufacturer producing automotive triplex chain. It's all industrial quality - used for driving conveyor belts and the like.

So now it's a case of you pays your money and makes your choice; in doing so, be sure to change your chain more regularly than you used to. This info from "The Chain Man" in the UK.

As regards your Renold chain, Trickmickey, you might be lucky, it might be one of the old automotive quality ones if it's been in there for over 10-15 years. But then again, loads of Vincent people bought Renold chains initially unaware that the rollers were formed in two halves ("split rollers"). And yes, they split in use and for some people caused mayhem - even blown-up engines and split crankcases - don't ask me how I know. Look closely at yours with a magnifying glass to ensure it is not of the split roller type.- the middle row was most prone to disintegrate first, aided by the dynamo drive sprocket.

Peter B

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
You got me so freaked out that this chain will be discontinued that I went and ordered a ten foot roll. Not cheap. With extra links and taxes will cost about 400 Canadian dollars. I run a McDougalator and it is a bit hard on chains.

vibrac

VOC Member
The Reynolds that broke on me was a welded roller one and was bought and destroyed in one riding season I found all the center rollers in the chain case the reason why I relate this is that I think the 10 to 15 years mentioned above saying chain then was ok is optimistic. The shedding of rollers occured after my isle of Man VOC closed roads ride in 1999

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't fit another Renolds chain after a new primary chain lasted one weekend of racing on my sidecar before stretching beyond the tensioner adjustment range. This occurred in 2003 so Vibrac has a good point. The world has moved on, Tsubaki for the primary and Regina for the final drive is my choice of chains.

Last edited by a moderator:

A_HRD

VOC Member
Somewhere under my bench in a plastic-bag I have a short piece of NEW Tsubaki triplex (automotive quality) about 4 links long. It has jet black side-plates - slightly thicker than current ones - and the pins are copper-plated on the ends (unlike current ones). It was given to me by Bob Dunn decades ago. Car buffs would know for sure, but I seem to remember that it was used in restoring Jaguar cars of around 1960s vintage (cam drive chain?). Tsubaki chain is well-made, widely available and of good quality; investing in some is no bad thing. But it is no longer made to the same standards as the old automotive stuff which gave it it's good name.

Vibrac is right about my dates above - they're way off; geez where did the time go? There are many people on here who will still remember my first chaincase/crankcase explosion (Renold split rollers) at the German Rally - that must have been around 1981... I worked all weekend on it and got it going OK for the uneventful trip home - thanks to Kurt Schupp loaning me the whole of the drive-side of his Lightning...

Peter B

vibrac

VOC Member
I suppose we should investigate the belt drive from Bob Newby we used it for racing on the big Egli without any problems but thats without a primary cover and of course we did not need a dynamo I dont think total enclosure is a problem I am not alone in using one on my flash with full covers.
I seem to recall he did have a double sided belt that could also drive a twins dynamo but I had no need to go
there at the time perhaps someone here has

1545120570363.png
1545120652432.png