E: Engine Twin oil pump fitting

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When it's built. Prime both oil pipes. And fill oil filter via the alloy bolt on the timing case.
I check oil is coming back to oil tank every time I go out.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Just used this little gem to start up a new engine. Oil took several minutes (as usual) to circulate through the whole engine and fill all the nooks and crannies, and then we were good to go.

See Start up Checklist post #10
Never mind rollers, what you need for oiling up before a start up is this piece of kit!

20191025_202404.jpg

Quote Re

oexing

VOC Member
I wonder what happens when the outer race walks in the case so any relieve grinding will be no help later. Also I´d fit the pump sleeve exclusively with no force push fit so you can align that hole with the activating screw in situ. Any forced fitting will possibly cause some distortion and you cannot tell if it is distortion or press fit. A light push fit will be no factor at all for wet sumping or loss of oil pressure as no real pressure will be produced in an all roller engine. For wet sumping a cold engine will restore same minimal play like you achieved by lapping in the bronce sleeve and 5 micron diamond paste with oil. No real risk of remaining paste as most faces are covered by components when fitted. The final lapping is done with pure oil so no problem when cleaned up. So that is my idea about your troubles.

Vic

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Shotgun barrels receive dents frequently when carelessly handled. Gunsmith relieve the dent using a dent raiser. It is essentially an expanding mandrel that is placed below the dent and the gunsmith carefully expands it either through mechanical or hydraulic pressure, being careful not to cause a bulge. As screw pressure pushed it in, I don't think to much effort would be required to push it out. I would make a backer from a block of steel with a suitable size hole to prevent a bulge. An expanding mandrel along the lines of used on lathes or even progressively larger round stock with tapered end to initially slide under the dent should raise it.
Just a thought.
Steven

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Can there be any other bike engine that requires such care and selective assembly? I take my hat off to all those long term owners and engine repairers for their patience in keeping the marque alive.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I wonder what happens when the outer race walks in the case so any relieve grinding will be no help later. Also I´d fit the pump sleeve exclusively with no force push fit so you can align that hole with the activating screw in situ. Any forced fitting will possibly cause some distortion and you cannot tell if it is distortion or press fit. A light push fit will be no factor at all for wet sumping or loss of oil pressure as no real pressure will be produced in an all roller engine. For wet sumping a cold engine will restore same minimal play like you achieved by lapping in the bronce sleeve and 5 micron diamond paste with oil. No real risk of remaining paste as most faces are covered by components when fitted. The final lapping is done with pure oil so no problem when cleaned up. So that is my idea about your troubles.

Vic
It can't walk in or out, it's the timing side bearing, which is up against a shoulder, that prevents outward movement.
The problem was that the shoulder was about 5 thou deeper than it should have been to allow the oil pump sleeve to pass.
With parts from various suppliers all over the world but ( hopefully) reasonably accurately done to drawings I expected there would be some alignment difficulties here and there.
Over all it wasn't that bad and it is a real sweet engine these days.

On that engine the main bearings can't move inward as they are staked in by machine set screws on the inside of the cases. The set screws also prevent rotation of the two inner bearing's outer races.

Glen

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Can there be any other bike engine that requires such care and selective assembly? I take my hat off to all those long term owners and engine repairers for their patience in keeping the marque alive.
I think any bike contemporary with the Vincent has such problems owning a Velocette, Douglas or Scott for example you will find the same problems (I know I have experience) they were built by selective assembly whose component limits were wide compared to today on machine tools tired after a world war with small work forces under financial pressure. But one advantage the Vincent has over many early post war machines is the comprehensive availability of spares, a drawings project and well recorded information system.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
there was a few weeks ago a drawing here in the M.P.H. of a tool that enabled an owner to position an oil pump sleeve without having to use a piece of steel bar to turn the sleeve for hole alignment , and thus remove the risk of damaging the pump sleeve.
I cant be sure, but I think it was designed by Dave hill, but not sure. Hopefully somebody else will remember the article, and be able to guide you to it.
stumpy lord