G: Gearbox (Twin) Twin oil leak(s)

Colin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Godet is a standard 998 built 2004 and I'm pretty sure the cases are virtually identical to originals.Pete. (I do hope so!!!) But I have never liked an oil cooled rear tyre!
Hi Vin998 I do not have another twin handy to compare dipstick length, but believe me I shall be checking a few at the International! I would take a small bet I'd find more than a few different lengths.

Colin

VOC Member
Another slight complication (possibly) is that I don't have a rear stand, as such, but only a paddock stand. I'm now going to the workshop to push the bike off the stand and see what the level looks like with both wheels on the ground.
This can of worms gets more interesting by the minute.

Colin

VOC Member
After this I am going to lie down in a darkened room for a day or two.! Off the paddock stand absolutely no discernible difference in level on the dipstick, BUT the little breather hole in the cap was pretty well blocked, I missed that one. It is now well and truly unblocked.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
After this I am going to lie down in a darkened room for a day or two.! Off the paddock stand absolutely no discernible difference in level on the dipstick, BUT the little breather hole in the cap was pretty well blocked, I missed that one. It is now well and truly unblocked.
I wonder how many guys out there know that the dipsticks that are fitted to their pride and joys are nothing more than a wheel spoke screwed into the gearbox filler cap. all you need for an accurate reading dip stick is to replace the old one with a slightly longer spoke.
stumpy

oexing

VOC Member
After looking at my two dip sticks, same length both, from B-Rapides, I do not see the point of very critical oil level in the box. The bottom edge of the spoke FLAT is one inch lower than the horizontal center line through the gear shafts. So it should not matter much if there is a bit more oil filled in.
As confirmed above, do check the filler cap for a vent hole or Dremel a groove into the cap thread for easier venting. I have a cap that had NO vent hole and so you can get all sorts of troubles with this.
I posted some photos elsewhere with a drilled 3mm hole from the primary into the dip stick tube for venting the chain case there for same reason, hope that will do as planned.

Vic