Twin Oil Consumption - What's Yours?

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Robert, Any chance you can give us details of pistons and rings, Also Piston clearance, I have some old barrels that after some hard riding have gone way out of shape !! So much so that I am afraid of the new type low clearance pistons, I only use 60 year old specialoids with 10 thou clearance. We met a long time ago at the late Bill Telfers house, Cheers Bill.

Albervin

VOC Member
On fairly short rides at moderate speeds then about 800 miles per pint. At higher speeds on longer rides (say 300-400 mile) then 600 miles per pint. The Rider's Handbook states 1500 miles per gallon.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
The change to low expansion pistons made a world of difference to my bike. Oil consumption is negligable. One tip: If your bike is used infrequently and has a sumping problem,always top up the oil as soon as you get home after a run, not after it's stood idle for long periods. The result can be very messy!

Alan J

VOC Member
Even with "a chair" on I manage about 500 to the pint [no "litres" here!] My engine is nothing special

Howard

VOC Member
On fairly short rides at moderate speeds then about 800 miles per pint. At higher speeds on longer rides (say 300-400 mile) then 600 miles per pint. The Rider's Handbook states 1500 miles per gallon.

I never understood that 1500 mpg. I assumed it included oil changes. In the days when I went to Spain, I only took a small (pint?) bottle, and don't remember buying much (if any) during the trip. By that reckoning I should have used about 13 pints during the trip.

This has got me thinking - I'm going to dip the oil and check over 1000 miles. (I'll do it after a run, Len).

H

Alan J

VOC Member
I never understood that 1500 mpg. I assumed it included oil changes. In the days when I went to Spain, I only took a small (pint?) bottle, and don't remember buying much (if any) during the trip. By that reckoning I should have used about 13 pints during the trip.

This has got me thinking - I'm going to dip the oil and check over 1000 miles. (I'll do it after a run, Len).

H
Yup, the handbook only reckons about 200 to 250 miles per pint [about half a litre for our continental friends] so 8 pints = 1 gallon, so no more than 2000 miles to the good old Imperial gallon-must have been terrible oil then!-I am, of course, too young to remember!