Twin Magneto

b.l.hayward@tesco.net

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All, During my basket B rebuild (which, as you all know, takes years!) I had the mag reconditioned and I think the cam ring (on which the contact breaker lobe operates) has been put in the wrong way round. Being a V twin the length of the 2 arcs between the lobes on the cam ring is different, obviously, and it must go into the mag body the right way. Would love a pic of the cam/breaker-end of a mag which works to either confirm this is the problem or that I need to delve deeper. Thanks in anticipation. Brian

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Won't the parts diagrams or other reference books do it for you

Hi Brian,

Won't the exploded diagrams on the spare parts list or other publications give you want you want?

I have the orginal Magneto off my Series C in the garage that came back with the bike (I'm on Pazon electronic now) - if I can be of any help I'll happily go photograph bits for you - just point me in the direction of what you need?

Cheers and good luck.

Stuart

john998

VOC Member
Twin Mag

Hello, I do not have a picture to hand but from forty years on the peg that locates the cam ring is at the top. The largest low point on the ring is on the right. Hope this helps.
It is from memory possible to fit the cam ring/ bearing carrier 180 degrees out.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I heard that one recently......

I heard recently of a WLS member who had his Mag "professionally overhauled" only to find the bike would not run.

After a very long time trying to work it out they found the carrier was 180 degrees out - frustrating or what.....

S

Hello, I do not have a picture to hand but from forty years on the peg that locates the cam ring is at the top. The largest low point on the ring is on the right. Hope this helps.
It is from memory possible to fit the cam ring/ bearing carrier 180 degrees out.

Phil Mahood

VOC Hon. Computer Officer
VOC Member
It is surprising how often I see this. The cam ring itself is located by a pin in the back. It cannot be installed in the wrong position. However, the whole contact break end housing can be installed 180 degrees out. To rectify, just take out the two screws (one with points cap retainer post), spin it around and re-secure. The post should be to the front of the bike. Looking at the cam ring as the mag would be mounted on the bike, the first lobe (rear cylinder #1) should be at about 6 o'clock. Then there is a long gap to the next lobe at about 11 o'clock. The bike will not run properly, or at all, unless things are this way.

If the cam ring housing is out 180 degrees, it is possible to time it so that the rear cylinder will start. However, there is extreme fire danger. The other cylinder will fire when the inlet valve is open sending a flame out the front carb. Many a twin has been imolated this way! Beware.

Last edited:

b.l.hayward@tesco.net

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
:confused: Ok gents, thanks for the inputs and herewith an update. Decided to check the timing just in case (was part of the rebuild done by another!) and found that the rear (No.1) cylinder had the points opening MORE than full advance when on full retard (ps forgot to say that I have a manual mag - cable adv/ret). Geronimo! - the solution was simply a retime - NOT! Retimed using the bottom lobe on the cam and obviously No1 was ok. But No2 would fire at just before BDC of the induction stroke and would equal flames thru the carb on No2 - not good. So it looks as though the end plate of the mag is indeed 180 degrees out. BUT I can't turn it because of the boss for the cable adv/ret - it would foul the big oil filter chamber nut. SO why can't I time No1 using what is currently the top cam lobe and switch round the plug leads? After all, the distance between the lobes will be correct then.

Phil Mahood

VOC Hon. Computer Officer
VOC Member
Hi, Brian.
Your idea, while logical will not work. This is beacuse there is another part in the mix - the slip ring. This is a ceramic disk with a copper strip. It can be seen under the high tension pickups. The slip ring is key'd to the armature such that the whole will not work unless as described. The copper strip that conducts the current will not be phased with the breaking of the points. The bottom line is, there is no getting around rotating the end housing 180 degrees.

I am not intimately familiar with the manual advance mechanism details. This was not standard on Vincents with the KVF mag. The KFTT competition mag had this, but that is physically a different item. Perhaps you'll need to fit the standard set up with an ATD. Can anyone else help?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Dont give up. Even if you do decide to go for another system eventually. It is all part of learning how things work to sort out the problem. It will also improve your confidence in your ability to sort out things for yourself. We all had to do that fifty years ago. Nothing wrong with the BTH but why not consider a coil ignition system if you really want easy starting? It needs a decent charging system but you need that anyway for lights etc. You could buy the bits for a coil ignition system and one of our car alternator kits for about the cost of a BTH and you can get bits for the ignition system if something goes wrong just about anywhere in the world. :)