Twin Kick Start Cover Repair

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Guys,

I have a twin kick start cover that was busted out at the bottom. I understand it is a somewhat common thing to happen.

I have had a nice fellow in my local area with lots of case welding experience repair the cover. I need to know what the thread for the return stop is and where it is located.

If any one has a thread type/size and measure or can measure for me off a good series C cover, I would be very grateful.

Eugene.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    924.3 KB · Views: 64
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I guess what I am looking for is the thread of G98 and its location in relationship to the stop.

Is it just centred in the out side face of the case?

A_HRD

VOC Member
I guess what I am looking for is the thread of G98 and its location in relationship to the stop.

Is it just centred in the out side face of the case?

Eugene,
Perhaps this picture helps? The plunger should be parallel with the machined face of the cover and its large diameter should not quite rub against the casting as it moves up and down. Obviously, it should be in line with the cast-in stop. The G98 thread is 1/4 BSP (19tpi, 0.518" dia, 15/32" tapping drill).
(Ignore the modification shown in the picture to the right - that's for a Grosset starter….).

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Image.jpg

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Eugene,
Perhaps this picture helps? The plunger should be parallel with the machined face of the cover and its large diameter should not quite rub against the casting as it moves up and down. Obviously, it should be in line with the cast-in stop. The G98 thread is 1/4 BSP (19tpi, 0.518" dia, 15/32" tapping drill).
(Ignore the modification shown in the picture to the right - that's for a Grosset starter….).

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

View attachment 13555

Peter,

What diameter is the machined face that the g98 sits against on the cover?

Thanks for your reply.

E.

clevtrev

VOC Member
The spring and plunger are redundant withe starter. The quadrant is checked by the modified G50 plate.
The diameter of the flat for the G98 needs to clear the across corners, so 3/4" is ample.