Twin in 21

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well at last we got to the track!
Today at Silverstone in the midst of a headbangers track day (at least the oldest bike there by 50 years!) but we had to test it out, after all it was initially built over a year ago but she ran perfectly we tried to jet up but came back to our guess and the gearing was OK for that very very fast track (how Silverstone has changed!) she was doing 100 at 5K OK for trying out and already grinding the clutch cover. I dont think I have ever had less to do with a new build Ben did a great job.. The brakes need some love though....
1618586082346.jpeg

G

Graham Smith

Tim - it's about time we had a new 'reaction' because I didn't think a simple 'thumbs up' did Ben's bike justice. If you look at the reactions, I've created an 'applaud' button which should now be available to everyone on all their posts.

applaud.png

vibrac

VOC Member
If you need a bit more front brake lengthen the arms to the same as the rear ones.
Been there Chris done that on the Comet over the years the lever movement at the bars is excessive and heavy I think Phil had the leverages about right but it was worth trying

timetraveller

VOC Member
Something wrong there Tim. You say that the lever movement was 'heavy' I would have thought that longer arms would give more leverage and hence less effort. I have used them with long linings on the ex-Cecil Mills bike for years and never had excessive movement.

vibrac

VOC Member
Perhaps it was the longer amount of lever movement at the bar. The ballance bar action was long ago taken to a small bar on the lever (Suzuki?). We could always try it for a third (or forth time) I suppose, Brakes are always the problem on a Vincent racer, the Lansdowne regs are strange they say original drums (so forget 8") but they also say twin leading conversions allowed. If I had a set of definite proven twin leading shoe plans that I could use on a set of alloy brake plates I would make some but developing some from scratch to be used in hot racing is a step to far for me to risk.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just to ensure the details of my set up are known. Enfield handlebar lever with built in 'wiffle tree'. No balance beam but that replaced by two solid pieces of ali bar, bolted to the bridge plate. The adjusters are screwed in to these bars. Single cable each side all the way from the handlebar lever to the brake arms. I made my own cables from very sturdy inners and outers and there is no play. The handlebar lever just comes up to a stop. Whether they would be good enough for racing is a different matter.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I did the long levers to my Comet, Standard the rest of the brakes,
More spongy, But for me better.

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_113014 (2).jpg
    IMG_20210417_113014 (2).jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 10