G: Gearbox (Twin) Twin Gear Change Adjustment

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not saying that I am not brave you understand :cool: but when I started doing this, one could buy several Vincents for £380, and even more for £580. It is very unobtrusive and most people do not even notice it has been done. I have never noticed a down side but of course an investor would find it a fault.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Now I am feeling lucky. I picked up a used one with the kick start buffer broken area out for $75.00 of fleabay last year. I bought with the intent of cutting that one up should I ever fit an electric starter rather than cut my original. Repairing the broken section isn't a big deal as I've already done it once to my original cover a few years back.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Without wanting to question such luminaries as Norman, but do the gears really need adjusting that often to justify such drastic actions, I could not bring myself to do it, my gear change mechanism has stayed perfectly adjusted for years, granted it did need a second adjustment when I had an electric start fitted by Francois Grosset, but once the exhaust pipes have been fitted and clamped into position they fall on and off easily enough. I know Norman was a racer, and I guess when racing time is not on your side, but on a road bike, if you follow Richardson, which I think is copied from the riders handbook it should be fit and forget for a good few thousand miles, with no need for a hacksaw.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I don't mind being questioned, and I am certainly not a luminary (I might have to pay extra tax if I was) but the reason for this mod was not adjusting the gear change. It was having to replace the kick starter spring on several occasions, including one squatting in the gutter in mid London traffic. There are people who can replace that spring through the inspection cap. I am not one of them. It also entails removing the exhaust system which is also not good by the roadside. This mod makes it easy and although modern springs seem to last for ever, there was a time when they were rubbish. I am certainly not advocating that everyone does this. Each to his own but it is my bike, it was not bought as an investment and I feel free to do whatever I want to it. Also, I repeat, I have never found a down side to this.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Now I am feeling lucky. I picked up a used one with the kick start buffer broken area out for $75.00 of fleabay last year. I bought with the intent of cutting that one up should I ever fit an electric starter rather than cut my original. Repairing the broken section isn't a big deal as I've already done it once to my original cover a few years back.
When I fitted my electric start I cut the piece out of my early type kick start cover where the transfer gearbox passes up into the kick start cover. I had no qualms about doing this as the electric start is one of the best mods I have done to the Rapide. It is also easy to weld a piece back in if ever it was necessary and as it is underneath it would not be noticable.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I go all Commissioner Dreyfus when I think think of cutting up parts that came with the bike. Much better for me to get a different part.

twitch2.gif

Albervin

VOC Member
My bike came with an electric start fitted and an early gearbox cover cut up. When I eventually sell it I will probably buy a reproduction cover to assuage the new owner. Meanwhile I press a button and go.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I am not adverse to modifying a Vincent, Francois Grosset has to remove a small piece of casting to fit one of his electric start kits, but as it was either that or book myself in for a replacement knee joint I was happy to have it done, I am sure that when Jacqueline Bickerstaff was acting as our TSO she explained that changing a kickstart spring whilst the cover was in situ was perfectly possible, albeit with a little dexterity, and easier with the later cover. Back in the day when my Vincent was my only everyday transport (only 50 years ago) I always carried a good quality elasticated bungee strap, probably used it more when the spring had become stretched as opposed to broken, but that worked fine in an emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:

doctired

Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I tried to adjust the gearbox I saw that the pawl carrier cetralizer was restricting the way of movement .If you look on this piece of metal you see two ears facing towards you. I bent the right one to make the space between the two ears wider.This made things better but not good. in the end I cut off the right ear completely so that the stop is now the kickstart quadrant G83AS. Now all the gears work as they should.Erik
That is interesting. My 1954 original parts list shows NO EARS !!!
Vincent van Goch was only half right!!

Attachments

• 16240568825832041709013630254994.jpg
    16240568825832041709013630254994.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 17