G: Gearbox (Twin) Twin Gear Change Adjustment

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Live and let live I say, but I don't think I could bring myself to slice my Series B (well I refer to it as that, even if it does not follow the strict B-C demarcation) in half with a hacksaw, the name of the device used to carry out the procedure says it all for me. I was even a little reluctant to allow Francois Grosset to nibble out the bottom corner of the cover to fit the electric start, but with my knees it was a necessity, but apparently completely reversible if you can weld aluminium. But with regard to gear selection adjustment, on the rare occasions when I have had to do this, I have always followed Paul Richardson's instructions very carefully, and it has always worked well, perhaps if this does not work for you, the problem lurks elsewhere.

Why do you need to provide oil drain grooves, if the cover is not fitted with any form of joint sealant the small amount of oil that can manifest itself in the cover will simply dribble out anyway, either way you will upset the person or establishment that you are visiting, I always shudder when Vincent motorcycles leave the various hotels that we have stayed at at international rally's, I often wonder if the hotel manager thinks to himself " well I didn't sign up for this bloody mess to clear up"

bmetcalf

VOC Member
:D :D :D

45850696531_18cbd97fb6_k-600x900.jpg

erik

VOC Member
What is about having a detachable exhaust pipe rear end. Then you dismount the silencer the part of the pipes infront of the cover and thats it.Erik

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Peter, the reason for the drain at the base of the cover is not just for oil but in case any water got in there. You are probably aware that one can put a very small section 'o' ring at the kick start end of the gearbox mainshaft if the Oilite bush is pushed in slightly. That should prevent any oil leak from that source but what about the gear change shaft which runs inwards as far as the central crankcase joint. I know that neither is a great potential source for an oil leak but one only needs a very small drain at the bottom to let out anything that gets in there which shouldn't be there.

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
What grease, from chain greasing ? Anyway, then a drain groove will not work with grease in there. I don´t use a seal on the cover so unlikely to get the space filled up with water or oil.

Vic

ericg

VOC Member
I always shudder when Vincent motorcycles leave the various hotels that we have stayed at at international rally's, I often wonder if the hotel manager thinks to himself " well I didn't sign up for this bloody mess to clear up"
That wasn't a problem when motorcycle rallies where hosted at a campsite. As they should. ;)