ET: Engine (Twin) Twin Exhaust

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Dave, I am not known to strangle Vin's, Ring there necks Maybe !!, Armours used to fit a small baffle plate, Deflector thingy, On the Chrome one, Not sure if they still do, But the Stainless one is a nice clear hole, Hope they have not changed them, Ring and ask.
I have 3 Stainless ones and will get another one this year, I think the stainless is under £100, Ring and ask.
Good Luck, Bill.

Thanks for that Bill,
I see you mentioned the deflector thingy & Tim has as well, will have to check them out.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It's like an old bent penny, Welded at an angle across the baffle hole, So the gas has to go round it, Before it finds it's way out, Not for me !.
I like the straight through type, For max power, Mine don't make too much noise, Unless you give it lots of stick. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Bill is right the absorption silencer is the normal ware used by owners (apart from Gold star ones:p) as the original spiral ones wore out
The spiral baffle is the correct and gives maginally better performance, it is a lot of money but it takes a hell of a lot of work for a skilled craftsman to reproduce a replica of the originally specified silencer. It actually was as I recall a special project researched and respecified by the drawing team and jointly financed by the club and the spares company I dont think a normal commercial company would have taken it on alone. They are only made in small batches I am not sure what the supply situation is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I was in Armours a few years ago, And Peter showed me a Chrome one that had been sent back as faulty !!,
You could see where the owner had knocked six bells out of the plate to break it off, But the welding is much stronger than in the 60 s, And it was just a mess !. Cheers Bill.

Kiwi_Tim

VOC Member
When I got my black shadow going it had an extremely restrictive homemade silencer. I knocked out the baffles and it flowed better but I still wasnt happy with it. I coughed up for a proper club spiral inner silencer and the bike feels a lot sharper than with either of the other pipes. It certainly pulls nicely.
For another british bike, I recently bought two mufflers from armours; they definitely were not a pair as the welding of seams was completely different and there were scratchs visible under the chrome, the mounting brackets were also an inch out from where they should be. I know the Brits often send their seconds to the colonies as its usually too hard to return it, but I was appalled by the armours mufflers I received. Whereas the club one was excellent. Just my 10 cents worth

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 68
  • pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 68

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Tim, I agree, That looks bad.
Have you spoken to them and sent your photos.
I think ,Last year the Top Man died, So they have had problems and Staff changes.
I think they send out for polish and Chrome, That should not have been Chromed !,
Also they should have seen that before sending to you.
They are a small firm and I think they would want to help you, But there will always be a time delay.
Good Luck, Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
When I got my black shadow going it had an extremely restrictive homemade silencer. I knocked out the baffles and it flowed better but I still wasnt happy with it. I coughed up for a proper club spiral inner silencer and the bike feels a lot sharper than with either of the other pipes. It certainly pulls nicely.
For another british bike, I recently bought two mufflers from armours; they definitely were not a pair as the welding of seams was completely different and there were scratchs visible under the chrome, theu mounting brackets were also an inch out from where they should be. I know the Brits often send their seconds to the colonies as its usually too hard to return it, but I was appalled by the armours mufflers I received. Whereas the club one was excellent. Just my 10 cents worth
I think that when comparing prices it's important that you compare like with like there are a lot of lower quality items out there and with on line selling it's not always easy to see why an item is more expensive than another

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
For another british bike, I recently bought two mufflers from armours; they definitely were not a pair as the welding of seams was completely different and there were scratchs visible under the chrome, the mounting brackets were also an inch out from where they should be. I know the Brits often send their seconds to the colonies as its usually too hard to return it, but I was appalled by the armours mufflers I received. Whereas the club one was excellent. Just my 10 cents worth

Hi Tim,
That certainly doesn't look good & I think Bill is right about getting intouch with them, unfortunately your location doesn't make it a simple or cost effective thing to resolve.
Having weighed up the advice on here I took Bill's recommendation, as my Rapide isn't standard, and bought one of Armours Stainless silencers.
It has nice welding & finish so maybe it was old stock, & fits same as the old silencer I had.
Both seem to point to my downpipes being an issue as both silencers are higher than they need to be.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Dave, You have to have a lot of luck with Twin Downpipes.
You can do a lot by redoing new flanges.
I had a very cheap set once, The only way to get them to fit was to make them Stub fitting.
I spoke some time ago about someone sending a Silencer back to Armours, After knocking 6 bells out of the baffle, They still replaced it !!, But that was when the 2 Peters were there.
Cheers Bill.

Kiwi_Tim

VOC Member
Hi Tim,
That certainly doesn't look good & I think Bill is right about getting intouch with them, unfortunately your location doesn't make it a simple or cost effective thing to resolve.
Having weighed up the advice on here I took Bill's recommendation, as my Rapide isn't standard, and bought one of Armours Stainless silencers.
It has nice welding & finish so maybe it was old stock, & fits same as the old silencer I had.
Both seem to point to my downpipes being an issue as both silencers are higher than they need to be.
Cheers
Dave

After a very busy summer not really involving motorcycling (a wedding/overseas guests/building plans etc): I finally did respond to armours yesterday and they have offered to send me another set of mufflers and will first send me pictures. So I may have to eat my words...there is hope and I need to set the record straight.
Regards
Tim