ET: Engine (Twin) Twin e-starter options?

vinhrd998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’m looking for an Electric starter for my twin. Which is the best option right now? Especially for a 1300+ cc engine?
As I understand the Grosset is too weak.
Godet did/is making a Harley type but is it the best option? I heard that it ihas bad ground clearance.
Patrik

vibrac

VOC Member
weakness is possibly a attribute of the battery I recently saw a high comp Egli that would not spin fast enough on a car battery, It spun happily with 2 lithium and the weight was negligible

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Godet Harley style will not fit standard cases as it engages the underside of the primary drive in a semi recess in the cases. At least the one I saw him with in Italy in 2010 was like that.

vinhrd998

VOC Member
Thanks bmetcalf,
Yes I ssw that one. Hoping to get inputs of all ideas to attach an e-starter. I’m not a purist. I prefer practical and if possible classic looking solutions. Meaning not so visually obvious.
But as I will build a 1300+ cc Egli to be used as road bike I’m looking for the best options

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
That s only the Steve Hamel, Godet, bendix type starter than.
Its works a charm.
But beside the (better new)cases to work on, you need to move inwards the layshaft bearing and the camplate notch. To clear room for the starter big gear.
I made the drawings already. But haven't found the time to make it yet.

Allthough on an old bike i am opting also for a new cross shaft Herve H. Style.

vinhrd998

VOC Member
Tried to find some description of the Steve Hamel solution without success. Anyone who knows more about it?

davidd

VOC Member
I do not have a description. This is the bike:

EGLI_final_pics_032.jpg

You can see part of the starter just under the front of the swing arm.

EGLI_final_pics_032 01.jpg

I have shots of this bike being built, but without the starter in place it was not obvious that it had a starter. Steve Hamel said he would never do another one!

David

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
As its a Harley bendix type.

I guess hes made up a one off gearbox to it. Shorter than original, as it fools with the chain line.
As the ones by Godet, have the motor really down.
Mine would also hang down a bit.
So i will loose it in a UK pothole.

That serves me.
An EL starter on a vinnie.

Cheers