E: Engine Twin Dynamo Pinion Retaining Nut

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
For a twin the parts are shown on MO14. The nut is plain 3/8" BSF, #198. This is what I have on my Rapide.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I use the PD17AS on my Prince with a half depth nylock nut without any problems.
A nylock nut will be a lot easier than bending the PD 23 lock washer shown on the MO14. The PD15/1 has a small tapped hole. I don't know what that hole was intended for but I have put in a small drilled bolt and lock wired it to my drilled 198 nut.

paw99

VOC Member
A nylock nut will be a lot easier than bending the PD 23 lock washer shown on the MO14. The PD15/1 has a small tapped hole. I don't know what that hole was intended for but I have put in a small drilled bolt and lock wired it to my drilled 198 nut.
Hi - yes, nyloc would be good, I shall look out for one.
The hole in the drive plate I think is probably for the tab of the tab washer.
Cheers
Peter

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I use the treaded hole in the PD15 sprocket to put a tempory long 1/4 BSF bolt in. Then you can hold the bolt to easily manouver the sprocket through primary cover and into place. Once positioned then remove the long bolt and put a short one in which is drilled across the head to allow you to wirelock it to the 198 nut. I have never used PD23 tab washer as without that it allows 198 nut a bit more thread to engage. Also use a small amount of Loctite nutlock (weak version) on nut 198.
Simon

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I use the treaded hole in the PD15 sprocket to put a tempory long 1/4 BSF bolt in. Then you can hold the bolt to easily manouver the sprocket through primary cover and into place. Once positioned then remove the long bolt and put a short one in which is drilled across the head to allow you to wirelock it to the 198 nut. I have never used PD23 tab washer as without that it allows 198 nut a bit more thread to engage. Also use a small amount of Loctite nutlock (weak version) on nut 198.
Simon
Good idea about the long bolt to help when manoeuvring the sprocket. It is a bit of a juggling act in an awkward space. I also don't bother with the lock washer.

stu spalding

VOC Member
The hole in my PD15 is threaded 1/4 BSW to take a cover screw. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone jams the wrong bolt in. Cheers, Stu.

paw99

VOC Member
Well done all, now I have quite a range of solutions...and for all of them, I believe that the direction of dynamo rotation will tighten the nut rather than loosen it.

I do like the ET158 method, as this will fill the gap between drive plate PD17 and armature shaft, give plenty of thread and also still be lockable by the excellent 1/4 BSF idea.
But that depends on it going in, and how long it is.
Cheers
Peter

kettlrj

VOC Member
The tapped hole in the sprocket is definitely 1/4" Whit so that you can use one of the screws that you took out of the cover plate for access to the drive.