C: Clutch Twin clutch . centralizing plunger.

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, The Allan head counter sunk use a too small key for me. In my racing days standard 2 BA cap screws where used without a clutch cover, just a guard to keep the boots clear.
Have found that slotted head stainsteel screws are less prone to backing out, perhaps due to galling under the head. This with home made stainless spring retainer. John.

craig

VOC Member
Anyone using a torque driver on Vincent fasteners? Slotted, Allen, Torx, Phillips, Pozi.
Common place in firearm precision maintenance.

FATTorqueDriver1.jpg

Firearms Accurizing Torque​

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
The kind offer is much appreciated.

I have ordered the new C21. Items usually arrive here within one business day from Coventry Spares. By the look of Cyborg's new one, a used one might be better, eh? Well no, if all that's wrong is a rough edge on a hole that doesn't require much precision, it'll be fine in the end.

I'll inspect the new C21 carefully and de-burr it as needed. Maybe it will even stop snowing sometime this year and I'll be able to report on the results.
How did your new C21 look? I shaved that burr off... it was more substantial that the photo indicated. After trimming it off, I checked the fit up against the C13 and it was close, but still not 100%. Turns out there are smaller burrs around the 9 smaller holes. Not a big deal, but better if the C21 and C23 are actually running true to each other, so will remove them as well.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
There was a small burr on the central hole. The smaller holes were OK. Since I have washers on six of the pins behind the plate, the central hole doesn't come in contact with C13, so it's less of an issue. The washers are there to keep the plate from rubbing on the two C5/1's. The old plate had that problem, so some time in the past I spaced the plate out with the washers. As you probably know, I'm not the first to do this.

So the new plate is nicely centralized and all looks good so far. I think the dish of the new plate is a little deeper. I didn't think to check that before assembling but I had to take up some slack on the release mechanism via the adjustment screw on the off side.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I don’t recall any discussions about using washers in there. I haven’t run into any clearance issues in the past but will verify there is clearance before I button it together for (hopefully) the last time.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have had washers in there on and off, sometimes as Gary says the back of the C21 can rub on the C5/1's. look for the witness marks on a used one. Either have to space the C21 out or grind the back and/or the top of the pins although they have very little above the circlip.

Cyborg

VOC Member
When Gary mentioned it, I did have a look at an old C21 and there are slight witness marks. No idea what the history is on the plate. It’s in that bin of stuff that never gets tossed. An additional joy of having grandchildren is that there is an endless supply of playdough in the house. Perfect for just such an occasion.

stu spalding

VOC Member
The washers are fitted because the pivot bores are worn allowing the shoe to misalign to the point where the link pin C9 contacts the plate. A better dodge is to countersink the C9 hole in the shoe a little deeper and put a washer under the splitpin 69. Ideally the pin bores should be bushed back to standard using an accurate jig. I recently spent two days sorting out a pair of shoes where someone had just stuck a 5/8" drill
through the worn hole, this throws the position of the plungers out causing further problems. Cheers, Stu.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Interesting findings there Stu, Have you found out which way the shoe pivot bores wear.......?....... I have done a few were we machine out the holes oversize and then bush it with bronze to suit new pivot pins/bolts........I have also seen ones previously done where the bushes come loose, shift sideways and this jams the shoe up so it is difficult for them to pivot freely.......Also if the pin to sleeve bore is a bit snug, again they tend to grab and limit movement.......I have often thought it would be better if a simple over sized pin was available, this would make the job far easier.........your thoughts.......?........Cheers........Greg.