C: Clutch Twin clutch . centralizing plunger.

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've decided to replace the drum and the plate. John Healy at Coventry Spares has the Maughan version of the drum. I'm sure that will be fine.

norvinmick

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Norman,

Yes, I do have the needle roller setup. I replaced all the springs a couple of years ago and with that and your mod, the plate lifts off very evenly and overall, the clutch works very well, with the exception of the symptom I described. Under "normal" use there's no problem finding neutral. It's only a problem if I come to a stop after moving under partial engagement of the clutch.

So are you suggesting that the wear I see in the drum notches should not cause problems? I'm inclined to square them up with the side of a mini abrasive disk in a Dremel.

By the way, the C3 clutch carrier will not allow your valve-grinder mod for an O-ring at the back. It's the newer, thinner type. On the other hand, there's room for two O-rings at the outer end. I have been getting a bit of oil coming through so I'm going to try that, along with non-hardening sealer on the splines.
gary i have been werking on my clutch got needel rollers works well 95 % better if i pull the clutch in with no plugs in kick it over nice and free then let go clutch kick it over engaged afew times then pull the clutch in kick it over again it seemes the shoes are slitley catching if i leave it a while then come back it was nice and free i think i found problem is broken springs pd27 whitch was biding almost like your problem mick.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I will check the springs. I don't expect a problem there, since I replaced them some 3,000 miles ago but who knows? I'll report what I find.

norvinmick

Forum User
VOC Member
the clutch in question has not left the garage yet. the clutch shoes slow to retrieve the problem was the inner plunger spring on one shoe was broken in about 4 places and must have got bound with the outer plunger spring i have ordered new ones from voc club i hope they have done there home work and got right sizes mick

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
...... the clutch shoes slow to retrieve the problem was the inner plunger spring on one shoe was broken in about 4 places and must have got bound with the outer plunger spring i have ordered new ones from voc club i hope they have done there home work and got right sizes mick
The VOC Spares Co has been selling these springs for ages. If they were the wrong size I think somebody would have noticed by now. ;)