C: Clutch Twin clutch . centralizing plunger.

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ps... I couldn’t find that clutch diagram that John referenced in his first post.... so if anyone can point me in the right direction.

When looking I found a post from you Bill. Going to take that warped C21 out of the bin and make a clutch holder out of it. Good idea... thanks.

Bobv07662

VOC Member
I reported on a similar issue with my twin clutch...C11/1, C14 clearance. Rather than turn up longer plungers I made two bushings to fit over the C14 pins, great result! Combined with matching springs and cups to get a level primary clutch lift I now have a smooth engagement with the abrupt take up eliminated.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yours will be a Fast one !!, With all those holes in C13, Never seen one of those,
But the book shows C13/1 lightened.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    643.6 KB · Views: 43

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I still run a pair of Lightened Drums !, I do worry they will go bang !,
But Mad Max thought they were OK ?.

For me getting NO play on the plungers was a good move,
Or the shoes can flap about and catch the drums a bit ?.
But my Special has a bent main shaft, Because of 10 years of Sprinting and a gearbox lockup !,
So that will never be perfect.

The best thing for getting into gear I think is get the tick over low ?,
But again with Big Carb's and Mk2 Cams not so easy for me.

And if ever your chainwheel is off, Change the oil seal between the bushes, They go hard after being laid up
And once oil is on the shoes you are Stuffed !.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Cy, I hope Derek doesn't mind me putting his number online, ************** . I've no idea about the toggles.

Hi Bill, I've mentioned it before but it is sometimes possible to get the shoe carrier C3 to run true by moving it round on the shaft, spline at once, and checking, with the nut tight. There is occasionally a machining error in C3 which cancels out a bit of bend in the shaft. Cheers, Stu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I recall many years ago the toggles (C10) could be made shorter so giving more pressure onto the drum, the same effect would be with worn shoes, as for the seal between the two bushes could be removed if an "O" ring of a certain size was fitted to the main shaft and a taper (sham-fer) behind the shoe carrier.
bananaman.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Hi Cy, I hope Derek doesn't mind me putting his number online, **************. I've no idea about the toggles.

Hi Bill, I've mentioned it before but it is sometimes possible to get the shoe carrier C3 to run true by moving it round on the shaft, spline at once, and checking, with the nut tight. There is occasionally a machining error in C3 which cancels out a bit of bend in the shaft. Cheers, Stu.
And then you can try to get a C20 to run in harmony with the C3.
I am fortunate in that there was a NOS mainshaft hiding under the bench. I didn’t realize it at first because it was covered in a very thin layer of a very hard black unknown substance. It took a bit of work to remove it from the threads so the C20 would thread on. Petrified cosmoline?
Almost tempted to turn the C20 while it is on the shaft, sleeve it and then turn it back down to size..... speaking of centralizing things.

Last edited by a moderator: