Twin clutch again!

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi guys,

has anyone yet used one of the VOCS modified metal bonded Lightning clutch plates? I've been having problems with the Prince selecting first gear this week, obviously tried adjusting it without luck. It either clears and doesn't pull away without slipping or it crunches like mad. i've just pulled it down and found that the one piece lightning plate has broken again after only about 2000 miles. May i also ask how far does the thread go down inside the 9 pegs of the clutch carrier, i found when undoing these screws a couple of them seem to be slipping. As well as using new screws could i use slightly longer ones?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, I have one on my bike, how can it break when it's got a metal centre ? I bought mine a couple of years ago, It took some bedding in but i am useing old steel plates either side, Are you sure your fault is not in the shoes ? All The Best Bill.

John Cone

VOC Member
Hi Bill
Sorry what i meant was has anyone used the new metal type plate, before i lash out on one and does it work. The one i have is an original spec plate all friction material. i've broken 2 in 12000 miles

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have had one for a few years. I had to file the drum slots for it to fit in and it was grabby at first. I had to rev it up in neutral with the front brake on to run it in. Then it was as good as my old corked plate.

John Appleton

VOC Member
Hi Bill
Sorry what i meant was has anyone used the new metal type plate, before i lash out on one and does it work. The one i have is an original spec plate all friction material. i've broken 2 in 12000 miles

Hello John, I have been using one for the last couple of years. It has covered many miles without any problems whatsoever. I like it and would not want to go back to the old type lightning plate.
John.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John ,Yes mine is fine but you need the one with 5 ears, I think that's the one you have, Somebody said the one with lots of ears are not so good. Cheers Bill.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
I put one in my Rapide along with new metal plates and despite much effort it slipped. I reverted back to the old cork plate and everything is fine now.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I put one of the 10 ear bonded plates in my twin clutch a few years back, no problem with slipping or grabbing but within 18 months all the ears snapped off - I was left stranded for only the second time in many years, I was rescued at the roadside ( thanks Dick ) with an old standard friction plate with several inserts missing. It's still in there ( still minus 3 inserts ) and works perfectly !!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Greg Brillus

Hi there, You should have a close inspection of your ESA springs, as i just rebuilt a shadow clutch that had torn the ears on a standard five ear plate half away....pulled the primary cover off to reveal the desintergrated remains of the ESA springs at the bottom of the primary, with not one spring left intact. This caused terrific back and forth loads on the chain and sprockets which ultimately the pilot clutch plate could not handle. I think on memory that the crank nut was loose too, which led from one prob to another. Also i always find the plunger springs in the shoes broken which stops the shoes centralising causing drag. I always check these on Vincent type clutches. When fitting the steel type pilot plates it's prefferable not to have too much backlash from the plate to the clutch drum slots, as excess play makes them noisy at low engine speed with which they tend to clatter back and forth a bit....hope this is of use. Cheers for now.....Greg.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
There's nothing wrong with my ESA - if you had a mess of broken springs I suspect you have suffered from the same problem - over hardening !! I've not had ESA springs break in over 40 years of riding my Vincents. I was given a handful in the 1960s, and on the odd occasion I've had to take the ESA apart, I've simply replaced the shortest springs which may have settled a bit. But as well as the clutch plate ears snapping, I've had the ears break off a primary chain tensioner blade, the ends snap off camshaft spindles and tappet adjusters - I think there was an on-going problem with over-hardening of many components in past years. I see no point in investing in a new clutch primary plate now, even though replacement inserts aren't available for the original item, the clutch is working perfectly well with 4 missing !! Seems to prove the story that the original weight of springs in the twin clutch were so light, the handlebar lever didn't return very well due to friction in the cable - but the clutch worked perfectly !!