Turner-Egli

Colin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I never met either of the Smiths and never saw Trevor race. I did go to a race meeting with the late ET43 who was acting as Starter at the meet. I was his "sort of " assistant. My great fun memories of it were 1. belting round the course in my company XR3 to deliver sandwiches to the marshals around the course, an 2. Rushing on to the grid to push start a non starter, getting him going,and turning round just in time to be run down by another late starter behind. My involvement with competition Vins were the building and riding of my Comet "The Arbuthnot Iron" for which I won the Avon Trophy one year.
Good going for 17 years Bill
Cheers Colin

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Trevor on his Twin, Too fast for me
DSCN0010.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Racing is very unfair, 1000cc 500cc big twin discs, Vincent drums, Not to mention talent and the lack of it, Cadwell for me was the best, Followed by Curborough for the get together of like minded people.
Cheers Bill.

Arbuthnot

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I was part of the support crew with Trevor the first time he rode at Cadwell on his Egli-Comet. I remember the High Speed Trial well, which I think was 30 minutes long. He led until the final lap, and yes the winner was amazed that he was on a single. He was alway an incredibly fast rider. His twin was super quick. We were members of the VOC at Codford, near Salisbury during the 70s and hosted a couple of the National Rallies in Westbury during that period.

Arbuthnot

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Here's a picture of his twin before he upgraded to twin disc. I think he got the Vinnie lap record at Cadwell on that bike.
I was part of the support crew with Trevor the first time he rode at Cadwell on his Egli-Comet. I remember the High Speed Trial well, which I think was 30 minutes long. He led until the final lap, and yes the winner was amazed that he was on a single. He was alway an incredibly fast rider. His twin was super quick. We were members of the VOC at Codford, near Salisbury during the 70s and hosted a couple of the National Rallies in Westbury during that period.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1623686357992.jpg
    FB_IMG_1623686357992.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 35

Colin

VOC Member
I have a great memory of one of the Wylye Valley rallies at Westbury, organised by the late Phil Primmer. If my memory serves me correctly there was to be a film show in a big marquee. Phil had obtained a petrol generator to run the projector but it was some distance away. Phil asked me to give him a hand to bring it to the marquee as it was pretty heavy. Phil had one end and I the other. Phil was backing up and I was going forward. Unbeknown to both of us there was an electric fence between us and the marquee, which, of course Phil backed into. It caught him, both unawares, and in the "cojones", whereupon the generator was flung in the air and the air turned blue with a stream of profanities from Phil. I meanwhile had collapsed in a heap with uncontrollable laughter, shortly after to be joined by Phil laughing like a drain as he massaged his nether regions.
Another of the Primmer stories. Where you there "Onetrack", and do you mean "National" or Wylye Valley rallies?

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi, I have great memories of Trevor Smith at one of the Cadwell VOC meetings in the late 70s. I was racing my Norvin and it was going well. I can remember looking at his bike and it's small Shadow type carbs and wondering how it would go. I soon got my answer when he just disappeared into distance. Unfortunately this appears to be one of the VOC race meeting where no results were published so I am unable to give lap times or even where I finished but Trevor won "going away".

G

Graham Smith

I’m always amazed how threads can suddenly jump back to life!

This particular thread was started in March 2018 by @davidd and then three years later, it suddenly awakens from its sleep with yet more important information.

Arbuthnot

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Colin, the two rallies were held at Madbrook Farm where I lived and my brother still lives and farms. People came from all over the country and even abroad. Phil Primmer often used expletives and was a true larger than life character. He was so tall and his wife not so, and he adored her. I remember going in his outfit once as a 14 year old and absolutely loved it. The members i recall were Dennis and Maureen Smith,Trevor Smith, Andy Edwards, Francis Shephard, Alan Shephard and Dave Pollard. Great times!