Tubeless tire repair - Non Vincent related

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Anyone have any experience with a plug type repair on tubeless tires?..good idea/bad idea, ok to get you home but replace the tire quickly?..Opinions?

Albervin

VOC Member
Bob, I always carry a repair kit for my modern bikes but have only been required to use once. It did the job but was a slow trip. I had been advised to keep the speed down (even more important when fully loaded) as the heat in the tyre can cause the separation of plug from tyre. 80 km/h max!!! Fit a new tyre as soon as possible. I have been told there are repair plugs good for up to 120 km/h but I don't fancy putting them to the test!

vincenttwin

VOC Member
All my bkes have tubes even my new ones , does it really mean on a tubeless tire when it gets a nail hole ,fix it to get home ,then buy a new tire.

John Cone

VOC Member
Had a puncture on my Honda when i was 200 mles from home on a Sunday after noon. I found the hole, not a big one i might add, bought a tube of Evo stick and a large self tapping screw, gunged it up screwed it in, Let it set & blew the tyre up and rode home. next day had to splash out on a new tyre.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Any good tyre dealer or motorcycle dealer can do a vulcanised repair provided the tyre is not compromised in any way. However, it is only economical if you have a good proportion of tread left.
BTW, we have experienced many problems with Ultraseal. It often does not work as advertised but only seals the tyre by the time the bike has been recovered to the dealership and then makes a repair a messy difficult job!
Bill

tonythecat

Non-VOC Member
Quote;"BTW, we have experienced many problems with Ultraseal. It often does not work as advertised but only seals the tyre by the time the bike has been recovered to the dealership and then makes a repair a messy difficult job!"

For the past ten years I have had Ultraseal in a succession of "other" V-Twins,and spending a fair bit of cash on it, and never had a puncture. In March of this year one of these bikes was being serviced and the technician called me to the workshop and told me there was a nail in my rear tyre, and what did I want to do?. I told him to pull it out he turned the wheel so that the hole was at the bottom and an amount of purple ultraseal was ejected, alas the tyre completely delated. Tried to inflate it again without success. My impression of Ultraseal.........useless. And as Bill said above lots of tyre shops will refuse to remove a tyre filled with it because of the mess.

Tony

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Tire removed - new Metzeler Tourance fitted..As the old tire had only 4900 kms on it I'll take it in to see if a patch can't be applied to the inside and keep it as a spare.